Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

GE Silicone 1 Inquiry

Hey all,

I just signed up on the site and I gotta tell ya, I think I'm gonna like it here!

Anyway, I've read a few topics and I see that GE Silicone I is good to use in the aquarium. Does this apply to all Silicone I types? The reason I ask is because I know that Window and Door Silicone I is good, but I bought Window, Door, Basement and Attic Silicone I.

I want to be absolutely sure that I won't harm my fish. I figured I'd ask because the basement and attic are the two places where mold and mildew gather the most so I want to find out if anyone has used this type of Silicone I before and whether or not you think it is safe to use in the aquarium. Would the tube say something about containing a mildew inhibitor?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as it is pure silicone, it will be ok. Make sure you read the ingriedients on it and if in doubt post them up here and we will help you out

Welcome to AA!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK I'll post them when I get home from work! Thanks for the quick reply! I can't explain how grateful I am to find a forum where someone actually responds within the first week of you posting something!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The tube should say something about a mildew inhibitor if it contains one. If it says anything about mildew or a "Bio Seal" I would steer clear of it. They let off ammonia when they cure and can wreak havoc on your system. The same is true for GE Silicone II, stay away from it.

Any 100% pure AND clear silicone should work. Like Blueiz said, if you are not sure, post it here and we will let you know!

Oh, and welcome to the site! Typically you'll get responses within 24 hours on this forum. The people here are eager to help anyone!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is 100% silicone and clear and I looked over the tube a couple times and didn't see anything about bio seal or mildew inhibitors, but I will post the ingredients just to make sure later today.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I used GE Silicone I once, I used it to reseal my 10g. I was told to let it cure for 48 hours before filling it up. I've heard anywhere from 24-48 hours to let cure. The longer the better I imagine. Just a FYI.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....

Silicone I is fine... avoid Silicone II (though in all honesty I mistakenly used it with no ill effects).
Old 12-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

GE appears to have renamed their silicone.If you google GE silicone, they have Silicone 1 kitchen & bath which has mildewcide. <This is not the same as the old GE I.> I havn't been to a HW store to see if this is true.

Anyway, use 100% clear silicone Door & Window (it is now calls Silicone 2 on some website?). There should be no mention of anything about mold & mildew.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Silicone I is fine... avoid Silicone II (though in all honesty I mistakenly used it with no ill effects).
If the mildew inhibitor is nothing more than ammonia (I am probably wrong there), wouldn't that, in effect, help cycle a tank quicker?

<< n00b with the whole silicone thing here
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Thanx but no.....

Not sure, this is what I am referring to... 100%R silicone

GE at Lowe's: 9.8 oz Silicone I Waterproof Window & Door 4 Pack Clear Caulk

I have a case of it socked away

Tags
silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com