Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
As long as it says "100% silicone", you're safe. I don't see how any pigmented or colored silicone could be 100%, it may be safem but why take chance.
The ones with mildewcide say 100% silicone but are not safe.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, there ya go, Bill. Its 100% silicone with somethin' else added, there's 110% of something in the tube, just like the colored silicone. I think by "100% silicone" they mean no latex or other caulking material, so read the label and ingredient list carefully. For sure avoid anything with any kind of "-cide" in it.
As for other ingredients, sometimes we may worry more than we need too. If you have an older Innes book, you can read how to seal leaking corners with old fashioned spar varnish. Yup, linseed oil and turpentine based varnish. You do have to let it cure for a few days. ( Not a bad idea with silicone, let it "gas off" that smell the crew noticed, which is acetic acid among other things.)
Those of us old enough can remember the metal framed tanks and the asphaltum and other tar and petroleum based sealants. Innes gives a formula for making the stuff, heating it up with parrafin and turpentine and other spirits.
So there are most likely several products that are safe but not specifically listed as such. I don't recomend pouring a shot of kerosene in the tank, use common sense, do rsearch, ask around
( there is probably some forum or something on line where you could do that) test with some feeder guppies for a while. When in doubt spend extra for exact same product labelled for aquarium use.

100% silicone with mildicide AND color is 120% ,

Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've noticed that GE 1 and 2(whichever is the safe one, I forget) it says "not for continual use underwater or in aquariums"
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhendrix007 View Post
I've noticed that GE 1 and 2(whichever is the safe one, I forget) it says "not for continual use underwater or in aquariums"
It may be because people use it to build tanks. It is a caulk not an adhesive. It doesn't have the shear strength of a true silicone adhesive like RTV.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com