GE Silicone I for resealing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to save silicone, you have to totally reseal the silicone tube (or any other caulk - except for polyurethane which must be used within a couple hours of opening). The cap supplied in the tubes are totally useless.

I found a good way to keep my caulks "fresh" is to use a lag screw. Depending on the size of opening I cut in the tube, i find a 1" or so lag screw that will fit tightly in the tip. You have to find one where the thread will cut into the plastic to get a good seal. <I usually have assorted sizes from 1/4" to 1/2" left over from various jobs. I find one to fit.> I screw the lag screw into the nozzle, making myself a threaded plug. I then use that to reseal the tube for each use. <Make sure you don't cross thread ... if the thread got broken, you messed up the seal.> I have kept caulk for a year or more using this system. <Note that silicone has a shelf life of only a couple years even if unopened ... so you can't keep it for ever.>

I think it has had problems with people not let go long enough before it is added to water, but i am not 100% sure. I think dkpate recently closed shell, and ...?

Back
Top Bottom