GE Silicone I for resealing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've used it in the past, but recently heard that they had changed the formula and that it was no longer aquarium safe. I was wondering if there is any truth to that... if someone can confirm or deny, I'd appreciate it. :cool:

My brother just used it to reseal his aquarium so I hope so! lol.

I think there were problems with people not letting it sit long enough before they added water, but im not 100% sure. I think dkpate recently resealed a tank as well...?

I used GE Silicone 1 For Doors & Windows. Make sure you don't get the Kitchen & Bath with Bioseal.

I remember somebody saying they changed I and II around, but all the GE I I've seen has been doors and windows 100% pure silicone with no mold or mildew inhibitors

From what I've heard they no longer include "safe for aquariums," etc on the label due to liability issues (I assume they did this at one time or another years ago?) Maybe that's what you're referring to?

If you're resealing anything above a 55 I'd skip GE Window & Door and go with the industrial variety (much stronger): GE RTV 100 or Dow Corning 732. To my knowledge Lowes & HD don't carry it, but Graingers should have it and if they don't it's fairly easy to buy online.

I used GE Silicone 1 For Doors & Windows. Make sure you don't get the Kitchen & Bath with Bioseal.

Right on. That's what I've bought in the past. I know to avoid anything with mold/mildew inhibitors, wasn't sure if they re-formulated the safe stuff. :)

From what I've heard they no longer include "safe for aquariums," etc on the label due to liability issues (I assume they did this at one time or another years ago?) Maybe that's what you're referring to?

If you're resealing anything above a 55 I'd skip GE Window & Door and go with the industrial variety (much stronger): GE RTV 100 or Dow Corning 732. To my knowledge Lowes & HD don't carry it, but Graingers should have it and if they don't it's fairly easy to buy online.

Thanks for the tip, but not an issue at this time. The project in question is an old skool metal frame 10 gallon. Sweeeeet. :cool:

GE I is no longer safe but II is. They changed them around for some reason. If you can find it, dow corning 480 silicone and DAP household adhesive sealant (use to be called aquarium sealer) work too.

Pretty sure you got that backwards. GE II uses a ammonia based process to cure, and takes forever to fully cure. GE I does not. I believe you can use II as long as you let it fully cure over like 7 days, regardless you have to use the window and door type, not the kitchen and bath.

Wait... hang on... another tank.... where... oh nevermind. Great idea Hun! :D

Just last week I went to Home Depot to get some sealant for the first time. There were a number of brands that were marked as 100% silicone, yet the packaging on the back explicitly said it was not rated for aquarium use.

So I finally with with the DAP brand sealant, which is clearly marked on the package as aquarium safe.

They took off the aquarium safe for liability issues. People were using it to glue together big huge tanks and didn't know what they were doing. They are chemically safe, but aren't structurally safe for certain applications, so they took it off.

GE I and II both come in kitchen and bath and window and door sealer. The GE I window and door sealer DOES NOT have mildew protectant and is safe. But I have read on a bunch of forums to make sure you read your specific tube because there was a change at some point.

This is GE II
GE Silicone II Window and Door 10.1 oz. Clear - GE5000 12C at The Home Depot

This is GE I
GE Silicone 10.1 oz. Clear Silicone I Window and Door - GE012A 24C at The Home Depot

One has mildew protection. As in GE II. So GE I is safe. Glad we got that figured out.

The confusing thing for some people is that the GE I Window & Door says its mildew resistant, but its just the material itself and not any specific agent in there.

I agree. They both basically say the same thing. But II actually has the mildew guard in it. I also read the labels of both and it is very hard to tell what product has the bad stuff. But that home depot page shows the mildew protectant in II.

GE had change their labeling so it gets to be very confusing. I went looking for it several weeks ago at HD & I see they now have 4 different 100% clear silicones:
GE I Kitchen & Bath - mildew resistant
GE I Door & Windows
GE II Kitchen & Bath - mildew resistant
GE II Door & Windows

None are marked for aquarium use. <The GE tubes now say NOT for aquariums.> And my usual house brand that is marked aquarium safe is no long marked so. I eventually settled on GE I Windows & Door & let it cure for a week. Seems to work so far.

YOU ARE FOR AQUARIUMS! :D

This thread should go to thread heaven, I think we have covered everything.

so what u do with left over silicone?
i bought GE 1 to re-seal my 10 gallon, but got like half the tube left
so i sore it, week later i try to use it but every time i pop it in the gun, instead of it coming out from the point, it leak from the back of the tube.

it such a waste of money re-buying a new one just to reseal small crack or leak.

Back
Top Bottom