Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get rid of nitrates without more WC's?

I keep seeing threads about high nitrates and I know how much of a chore WC's can be. Just because you have high nitrates doesn't mean you should have to commit your every free minute to a partial water change. Don't get me wrong, WC's are essential to getting rid of other harmful wastes that we cannot test for. But once a week for a typical aquarist should suffice for the nitrate plagued as well. The solution is a nitrate reactor. Setups cost around 200+ which is out of the question for most of us. Here is a link to a simple, very effective, and the part I know your waiting for, CHEAP solution. Here is a link to the build. Hope this helps. Read the notes in the thread carefully about GPH (50 or less) and the use of Seachems Denitrate as its very important to the functionality of this build.
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...d.php?t=387870

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I like it, very nice find. Personally, I have an extra HOB filter that I plan on throwing some phosphate removing media and just using that. It seems like even though it would be a little less efficient the ease of cleaning would be a good plan for us lazy reefers

Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for that, I'm bookmarking it

And Mebbid...I think you mean "nitrate removing media", not phosphate...though I suppose you could run Phosguard in the reactor as well....
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very smart way of purifying the tank water. But, a bit labor intensive for me, a non-handy type. I removed most of the nitrates and all the other forms of nitrogen in some of my tanks by dropping the roots of the Chinese Evergreen into the tank water, the leaves are kept above to take in the CO2 from the air. The plant needs only subdued, room light and a little aeration around the roots.

The nitrates stay at or below 10 ppm in most setups. Not nearly as much work. But, if you like to tinker, then go for it.

B
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Thanks for that, I'm bookmarking it

And Mebbid...I think you mean "nitrate removing media", not phosphate...though I suppose you could run Phosguard in the reactor as well....
Nope, I definitely mean phosphate. My nitrates already read 0; I've just been looking for a way to drop my phosphates a little more.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I like it, very nice find. Personally, I have an extra HOB filter that I plan on throwing some phosphate removing media and just using that. It seems like even though it would be a little less efficient the ease of cleaning would be a good plan for us lazy reefers
Yeah I hear ya, in that case make sure you use matrix and not denitrate.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrogen Forms

Aquatic plants, if you have them, will need some nitrogen for cell growth. Never heard of a cube of water with fish and plants having no nitrates. How does bacteria live with nothing to eat? The tank would lose it's ability to cycle.

If you had a test kit that was accurate enough, I'm sure the water would show traces of nitrates. Even with land plants emersed in my tanks that use all three forms of nitrogen, there must be some left in the water. They're needed to maintain healthy water conditions.

B
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Aquatic plants, if you have them, will need some nitrogen for cell growth. Never heard of a cube of water with fish and plants having no nitrates. How does bacteria live with nothing to eat? The tank would lose it's ability to cycle.

If you had a test kit that was accurate enough, I'm sure the water would show traces of nitrates. Even with land plants emersed in my tanks that use all three forms of nitrogen, there must be some left in the water. They're needed to maintain healthy water conditions.

B
I'm referring to my salt water tank

My macro algae devours all my nitrates but isn't quite up to the task concerning phosphates.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can I buy the nitrate removing stuff at a petsmart... And can you tell me some good products for nitrate removing stones
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

SeaChem Matrix does a great job at removing 'trates....

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com