Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ghetto moonlight progress topic (pics!)

Hi

I love the moonlights posted in other topics, so I decided I wanted to make some too.

This is all the stuff I have right now.

I basically took a block of teflon from work (because it's really soft and flexible, but still rigid enough to hold up for this project. I cut a groove down the middle, then drilled 9 holes for lights right in the center of the groves.

I pushed the wire from each of the LEDs through from the front so that the LED was flush against the front wall. Inside the channel I placed two welding rods, one against each wire.

These are the LEDs I'm using. I got them on Amazon.

I placed tongue depressors between the wires from each LED to help keep them from touching eachother, and to help push them against each welding rod. I also used hot glue to hold them in place.

This is what the front looks like.

The welding rod is sticking out the end. I put a giant glob of glue to keep them from touching...

....then bent them outward to make it easy to hook them up to a power source.

If my wife ever gets home with the car, I'll go to the Salvation Army. They have bins full of power supplies. No clue why. I'm thinking I can get a 3 volt power supply around 3 amps max to hook them all up in parallel. Hopefully that works and I get some lights!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good so far. New guy here, so maybe there is a reason... But why don't you just buy led strips? There are websites that offer dozens of set ups and colors. Not to mention they are very cheap, are less than a quarter inch thick, and have sticky stuff on the back already.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well you're right. There really is no reason to do what I'm doing here, but there's something appealing about building something myself. I can't help it!

Tags
light, moonlight, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com