Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to prisoner1572 Send a message via Yahoo to prisoner1572
Glass Cleaning Problems

I have two tanks that have mineral deposits on the glass. The one I have worked on cleaning is a tank I am rebuilding. I was able to get most of the deposits off with a razor but now I can't get what is left of the residue off. I tried soaking one piece in vinegar and another in CLR overnight and neither worked. I'm not sure how to get off the residue that is left. I've included a picture of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	25656  

Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I personally wouldn't use either of those products, as they are going to require a ton of washing and rinsing before they become "aquarium safe" again. I've had some luck with a produce called SAFE & EASY, but it usually requires multiple spraying and the use of a razor blade at the same time.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Vinegar is the only thing that I would feel safe using. It will require you to wash the tank very well before using again though.

The method that I use to remove mineral deposits is; take a paper towel and place in the area you want cleaned and soak it with vinegar. Keep the paper towel soaked with vinegar and let sit overnight. We do this to remove coraline buildup off acrylic overflows and other parts in the SW world. The same should work for other mineral build up.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

if you have a home (beer or wine) brew supply near you there is a product called starsan (acid sanitizer) its a no rinse sanitizer that dose wonders for stone and mineral deposits.

edit>> didn't finish my thought, I would dilute according to the directions and let it soak. in this case i would rinse so that you bactera would grow on the glass. starsan is yest safe when not rinsed so it should be safe.
link
Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
if you have a home (beer or wine) brew supply near you there is a product called starsan (acid sanitizer) its a no rinse sanitizer that dose wonders for stone and mineral deposits.

edit>> didn't finish my thought, I would dilute according to the directions and let it soak. in this case i would rinse so that you bactera would grow on the glass. starsan is yest safe when not rinsed so it should be safe.
link
if you know a dairy farmer they should have a product that does the same thing and is also a no rinse sanitizer.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The glass may be teched, in which case it is there for good. I have a couple of older tanks that have areas of the glass that will not come clean. It doesn't really affect the viewing, but it is there. If CLR or Vinegar won't remove, even with extended soaking, I would guess that you will have to live with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of the fine film will disappear when the tank is full of water.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

wouldit be posibble to get a windshield bufing kit from a auto parts store? iv seen them for taking scratches out of windshields
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to prisoner1572 Send a message via Yahoo to prisoner1572
I have determined that the glass is etched from corrosion. I was completely surprised to learn this happens to glass when exposed to water for a long time. I was able to borrow a buffer from my uncle and rubbing compound seems to be getting most of it out. I'll let you know how much work it takes when I get done with it all.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am interested to see how it works

Tags
clean, cleaning, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com