Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
glass question

my lanlord wont let me have a huge tank..so im wantin to take my 55 gallon and make it smaller.the tank is made by that all-glass aquariums company(i think thats the name). so...i wan to take it and cut it ...and make it 32"long 14" high and 14" width...it will be something like 27 gallons. i dont think personally i can cut it straight..so can a glass cutter guy say at like ace hardware cut that kind of glass for me ... i think its tempered glass or maybe its not...any input into this would be helpfull..thanx

Old 10-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldn't cut it. Because it is A: Probably tempered glass, and B: Aquarium glass is incredibly thick.

---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #3

Tempered glass doesnt cut well, it shatters. The bottom of your tank is most likely tempered glass. Why would you want to ruin a good 55 gal? 30 gals are relativley cheap. Trade it or store it instead.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sell it on EBAY!
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think it will be alot more trouble than its worth. I would find out what his definition of huge is. 55 is not huge but if he wont let you just buy a smaller tank. It will be cheaper than what you are planning on.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Don't do it, buy or swap for a smaller setup.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
i want to customize without spending any monies at all....i wanted to do an acrylic set up...but i dont wanna spend anything. im thinkin maybe i can cut the side panels of glass and replace the bottom peice with a thicker non tempered glass. i cant buy a tank that fits what i want. and when i say huge tank...i meant huge..too big for my landlord to be compfy with. i know what a big tank is. and to ruin a good 55 gal...it was free and i dont like it..lol. anyways..if i decied to do this and i cut JUST the side panels to my liking...how would i make the edges like not sharp. i suppose i could put some sort of edging on it..and try to make it look not too tacky. anyways..when i do this i take pics and show you either my success or doom.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredfish
.how would i make the edges like not sharp.
You sand it down after cutting. My local glass place use a diamond coated sanding belt on a belt sander for the job. You can also get them to grind you a decorative edge (but that would be expensive - the one I checked charges $1-2 & up per linear foot).

With the high cost of glass cutting & edge grinding, I don't think it would be too cost effective to remake the 55 gal. You might be better off selling the 55 & buying pre-cut panes of glass to make your new tank.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would find someone that will trade for a smaller tank. No fuss that way and both you and the other would get what you want without worrying about cutting glass. I have done it and I did ok, took a lot of silicone to seal it but it was small. I will have someone cut it for me in the future.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I assume your lanlord won't allow the 55 cuz of weight.
I would leave it as is and just use the tank for a paludarium instead.........less water equals less weight.

GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com