Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thumbs up Glass thickness and DIY tank help

Hey guys!

After having much success with my 5g acrylic RCS tank, I decided I want another tank! Originally, I was going to purchase another 5g tank but made of glass. I have since then discovered that they're not that easy to come by. So!.. I decided to give making my own a shot! And since I'm making it, why not go bigger right? So 7g-8g is what I'm aiming for. I'm still playing around with the dimensions, but I know a standard rectangle is what I'm really aiming for. My concern is the glass. Home depot has 1/8" glass on hand and they don't really have anything thicker that I can tell. I've googled if 1/8" would be enough for a tank this size with no luck. Any help is appreciated and feel free to give advice, help, or dimensions! I appreciate it!

Is 1/8" thick glass thick enough for a 7g-8g tank?
What dimensions would work best for this size of a tank?
Didn't really want to, but would it just be easier to buy a basic 10g tank?

Tanks again!

mpulido0316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
1 - calculator here http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

2 - Whatever dimensions you like

3 - Yes it would.

Petsmart should have 5g tanks available for cheap.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
For $1/ gallon right now there's now reason not to just buy one. Unless of course you just want to...
aclark is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, glass, ick, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com