glue for PVC connections?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to install some permanent pvc plumbing for pumping water out of my tank. I expect some water will backwash back into the aquarium when the pump is turned off. Can I use regular PVC glue for the connections? or should I use something else?

Tom
(see "ultimate water changes" in FW forum for details)

Yes, the usual PVC cement and purple primer is fine for all your plumbing. just give it ample time to set and cure (at least a few days??) before using it with your aquarium livestock...

This glue sets up fast. If you have worked with it before you know that you have mayge 15-20 sec of time from when you put the two sections of PVC together that have glue on them before the joint is stuck.

If you have nto worked with PVC before I would avocate buildign everything and dry fitting it all together. Then useing a marker make reference marks on each fitting so you know where they line up. Put glue on one fitting and put the other fitting in. Give it a 1/4 twist and honestly its ready to use with water in as little as an hour.

You dont have to glob the glue on. I always put the glue on the female side of the fittin and basicly use the pompom style applicator and give it 1 swipe all the way around on the inside of the fitting. Put the male end in and give it the twist. The twist helps spread the glue around to all surfaces for a water tight fit.

Thanks for the advice! Yes, I have used it before for repairing my homes sump pump, but I was a little wary about the standard epoxy for my aquarium.

Tom

It is not an epoxy, the PVC "glue" is a solvent that for a second melts the two pieces and when they harden up again the PVC is welded together.

Solvent just evaporates away, leaving nothing but a interesting smell. If you have a lot to do, open a window :p

TomK2 said:
Thanks for the advice! Yes, I have used it before for repairing my homes sump pump, but I was a little wary about the standard epoxy for my aquarium.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom