Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have similar story.
I had a ten gal I was trying to do what you're doing, and I was a noob at keeping fish and all.
So I went and found a few decent rocks intended for a 3d background. It was a success, I boiled the rocks, let them cool down and bought hot glue to glue the rocks together. I didn't know how I would do it so I cut up some peices of clear plastic (was enough to cover one portion of the tank) and use it as a base so I could lay the rocks together while I hot glue them. After I finished glueing the rocks, i was quite satisfied with how my DIY background turned out to be. Let it sit dry for about a day or so. Pretty much now my rock background is just hot glued rocks on a plastic sheet. Then I slipped it into my tank, it was heavier than I thought. So I set the tank up, rock bg went in first, sand, filter, heater and water. Had the tank run over night. And then, here it comes, prices of rocks started falling off and then it just kept coming. I was quite disappointed, but It turned out to be a fun project I did once dealing with 3d background. If I had more $ and tanks I would def. do another 3 d bg.
Ehhehee, t'was hard to read and understand what I posted. Sry for the confusion.
._.'

i want more!
Athaocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks !!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought aquarium sealant becuase I was unsure on what I could use and that seemed to be the safest route... although I worry that that will be insufficient...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was advised to use egg crate for flourescent light fixtures under my substrate just in case there was a shift so my aquarium doesnt shatter Idk how big or heavy of rocks you are planning on using but it is a good idea!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's a great idea !!!!!

Tags
background, glue, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com