Glue Rocks Together Or 3D-BackGround

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italy592

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now i have been back and forth with making my own 3D BackGround and glueing some slate rocks and making them like a 3D backGround. Has anyone glued rocks together to make a whole setup if so can you share your experience or any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated i want to figure out which route would be better and safer for the fish !!

Now what is I wanted to take slate a small but slightly heavy piece an glue/silicone the PVC to the slate and then styrofoam to the top of the PVC do you think that could work ?? ANYONE????????

I think that would work fine. I think it would be cooler personally if you make your own 3D background that would be awesome

Well that's what I'm going to do an here's a pic of where it would go its going against the glass where the red is

Now i have been back and forth with making my own 3D BackGround and glueing some slate rocks and making them like a 3D backGround. Has anyone glued rocks together to make a whole setup if so can you share your experience or any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated i want to figure out which route would be better and safer for the fish !!
Well, I dont have much advice right now but will be siliconing my rocks together tonite... a whole lot of heavy rocks! praying they will hold and hope to see if anyone else comments on this thread who have done it! Here is a pic of the BIG HEAVY rocks I am going to silicone together...

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 151
Haven't got to that yet if ppl opinion agree with my research than I was going to move on that topic !! Any suggestions ??

I have similar story.
I had a ten gal I was trying to do what you're doing, and I was a noob at keeping fish and all.
So I went and found a few decent rocks intended for a 3d background. It was a success, I boiled the rocks, let them cool down and bought hot glue to glue the rocks together. I didn't know how I would do it so I cut up some peices of clear plastic (was enough to cover one portion of the tank) and use it as a base so I could lay the rocks together while I hot glue them. After I finished glueing the rocks, i was quite satisfied with how my DIY background turned out to be. Let it sit dry for about a day or so. Pretty much now my rock background is just hot glued rocks on a plastic sheet. Then I slipped it into my tank, it was heavier than I thought. So I set the tank up, rock bg went in first, sand, filter, heater and water. Had the tank run over night. And then, here it comes, prices of rocks started falling off and then it just kept coming. I was quite disappointed, but It turned out to be a fun project I did once dealing with 3d background. If I had more $ and tanks I would def. do another 3 d bg.
Ehhehee, t'was hard to read and understand what I posted. Sry for the confusion.
._.'

I bought aquarium sealant becuase I was unsure on what I could use and that seemed to be the safest route... although I worry that that will be insufficient...

I was advised to use egg crate for flourescent light fixtures under my substrate just in case there was a shift so my aquarium doesnt shatter :) Idk how big or heavy of rocks you are planning on using but it is a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom