gluing polypropylene to polypropylene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wlai

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am trying to build a DIY canister out of a Rubbermaid type of container, and needed to insert a 90deg L-elbow (black with barbed fitting) into the container. Drilled a tight fitting hole and just need to glue and seal in place. Well, having trouble finding a product that can hold it in place and seal at the same time. Because of the round shape of the elbow, it wants to rotate in the round hole.

Obviously I tried GE Silicone I, but it doesn't bond to the polypro. Neither does Super/Crazy glue, as the web site said, polypro has a "oily" texture that it doesn't bond to. There are special plastic adhesive that'll do the trick, but wonder whether it'll leach toxin. Even tried soldering iron to melt the plastic a little but no go either.

I can't possibly be the only one who had run into this. Do you have a product that you've tried and worked with?

Cheers.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to see if can find them locally; don't have anything else to order for the moment.

Last night I tried the PVC primer/cement that is used for pipes and that's a no go as well. Who needs teflon when you got this stuff?

Thinking that I should try epoxy next. Are there epoxy that can be gotten from the big box stores that works for aquariums, or do I have to go with something aquarium formulated?

I recently used loctite plastic bonder to seal up a crack in a 2.5g acrylic tank I had layin around. It holds water perfect now. The packaging says its specifically designed for hard to bond plastics, including propylene and polypropylene. Got it at Lowes for like 3 dollars

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up in Lowes and found this product: "Fix-It-Stick", an epoxy stick that you knead up by hand. I wasn't sure whether it was safe to use for aquarium but looking at the ingredient list it looks fine and so I bought it. Kneaded it up, sanded and cleaned the surfaces, and an hour later it's watertight and fixed in place.

Just for peace of mind, I checked on the net about its safety and found this thread: Epoxy - The Reef Tank. Looks good to me!

Back
Top Bottom