Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Acer
gorilla glue

has anyone used gorilla glue for any in tank applications? ie glueing slate to make caves?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Personally, I think silicone works better for slate caves, but I have not used super glue before.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the bottle claims gorilla glue is non toxic once cured, and completely water proof.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Which Gorilla glue you talking about ... polyurethane or PVA?

I believe that both would be non-toxic when cured, but I am not sure of submerged use. The PVA (white/cream color) is only water resistant ... I use it for my outdoor project, but it will fall apart if continuously submerged. The polyurethane (brown bottle) is more water resistant, but I still won't trust it in fully submerged applications (it is rated HPVA type 2, not for continuous submersion.) Epoxy or silicone is better choice IMO.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just go for some clear food grade silicone (the stuff you would use for kitchen counters). From my experience with gorilla glue, I think it would get all foamy and look kind of funny.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

due to the data i looked at, i would not use the glue unless you are using a aquarium safe epoxy over top of whatever you are gluing to seal it in and prevent it from leeching...that would work on building your own poly or styrafoam backround, but not for slate caves.

aquarium safe epoxy or any epoxy rated for potable water and rated for continuous submersion is the best thing to use for slate set ups. its ussually in a 2 part roll...clay like with a white or grey inside and a green outside. you can get the stuff specifically for aquariums for around $5us from most hardware or pet stores.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well i made some caves right after my post here, i used the brown gorilla glu and have had no problems, everything is still breeding away in the caves i made and no signs of any 'pollution' in the tank...

Tags
glue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com