gorilla glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone used gorilla glue for any in tank applications? ie glueing slate to make caves?

the bottle claims gorilla glue is non toxic once cured, and completely water proof.

Which Gorilla glue you talking about ... polyurethane or PVA?

I believe that both would be non-toxic when cured, but I am not sure of submerged use. The PVA (white/cream color) is only water resistant ... I use it for my outdoor project, but it will fall apart if continuously submerged. The polyurethane (brown bottle) is more water resistant, but I still won't trust it in fully submerged applications (it is rated HPVA type 2, not for continuous submersion.) Epoxy or silicone is better choice IMO.

I would just go for some clear food grade silicone (the stuff you would use for kitchen counters). From my experience with gorilla glue, I think it would get all foamy and look kind of funny.

due to the data i looked at, i would not use the glue unless you are using a aquarium safe epoxy over top of whatever you are gluing to seal it in and prevent it from leeching...that would work on building your own poly or styrafoam backround, but not for slate caves.

aquarium safe epoxy or any epoxy rated for potable water and rated for continuous submersion is the best thing to use for slate set ups. its ussually in a 2 part roll...clay like with a white or grey inside and a green outside. you can get the stuff specifically for aquariums for around $5us from most hardware or pet stores.

well i made some caves right after my post here, i used the brown gorilla glu and have had no problems, everything is still breeding away in the caves i made and no signs of any 'pollution' in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom