got a free tank but would like to reseal it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
it's been sitting for quite a while so i'd like to resilicone it before even attempting to put water in it. figure i'd clean it, razor blade off the old stuff, reseal it. do i need to clamp it? will i have to remove the trim? what type of silicone do i need to use? i scanned thru the DIY section but didn't see a write up. can anyone link me or give me some good tips?

This is the resealing instruction:
http://aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/resealing-tank-s-8320.html

If you are just redoing the inner seams, then you don't need clamps. <You only need to separate the glass panes & rebuild the tank if there is structural failure.>

You can leave the trims on if they are tight, if they are loose, may as well redo those as the same time.

Basic steps:
1. Remove old silicone seals by lifting it off the glass at the edges & cutting it off the outer seal <the silicone that is in between the glass>. I find a razor and a skew chisel worked best.
2. Clean off all traces of silicone from the glass - a scraper works well. try not to damage the outer seal.
3. Clean area with vinegar, let dry.
4. Use masking tape to mark off the seams so you have a nice clean edge.
5. Apply silicone - use 100% clear silicone without mildewcide or other additive - best to use a caulking gun & a steady hand.
6. Smooth & shape the seam with your finger - wear neoprene glove <non-textured finger tips>.
7. Remove masking tape while silicone is still wet - you have maybe 20 min.
8. Let it sit for a week to cure. <Read silicone instruction, some need longer.>
9. Test fill for leaks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom