Got the Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Guys
I got my overflow (I ditched the direct siphon method as it had too many down sides that the members pointed out and went with the recommended overflow) today for my DIY sump project and piped it out. Here are some pics of my concoction, pardon the bandage on the bulkhead, I cracked it 8O but the fix will work. Which way should I put the wye pic 1 or 2?

img_1046756_0_bfb71160d36c533d35f4254ea6090b88.jpg

img_1046756_1_48051836fa0ffafa252ff17d07bd548a.jpg

Probably a good decision. Takes a smart person to be able to take feedback and change course when it was your brain child.

That said, I don't get the connecting of the 2 drains. Your gph will be limited by the size of the pipe. No matter how many pipes you attach to the right hand side it's only going to drain at ~ 600 gph (assuming that's a 1"). Constrict that other drain and you might end up with a flood.

No?

What's the nipple valve (if that's the name) for?

Probably a good decision. Takes a smart person to be able to take feedback and change course when it was your brain child.

That said, I don't get the connecting of the 2 drains. Your gph will be limited by the size of the pipe. No matter how many pipes you attach to the right hand side it's only going to drain at ~ 600 gph (assuming that's a 1"). Constrict that other drain and you might end up with a flood.

No?

What's the nipple valve (if that's the name) for?

The overflow is eshopps 1200 rated for 1000 gph and a 1" pipe is rated for 960 gph gravity fed (Here is the link for flow rates of pvc GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6") so I connected the two 1" pipes because I would draw too much from the any one side and get that gurgling sound, right now she is as quiet as a church mouse. I just finished getting it up and running and testing my levels, pulling the plug yields no overflowed sump and losing the siphon doesn't cause the tank to overflow. I was careful when calculating the volumes both in the sump and DT so a flood wouldn't occur. The left side with the little valve is to feed the DIY denitrator and the other part of that wye is going to feed the second input on my eheim (The tank is starting to look cluttered with everything in there. When I'm 100% comfortable with the sump I'm going to disconnect the eheim all together and just run the sump. If you have any other ideas on what I should do with it please don't hesitate.

My 1" does nothing near 960. My return pump isn't even rated for that at 0 head height and I'm almost 4.5' up from there. I still have this suspicion that the Eshopps is named the 1200 because it has 2 1" drains.. each dropping approx 600 gph. What kind of return pump u have?

Are you going to recirculate on the denitrator?

Unless those drains are 100% redundant, I'd look at upgrading that Y-pipe to 1.5". (It looks like you're using 1" PVC.) Otherwise you're not getting full flow through the drains.

I'm also not sure what the Y-pipe under the valve is for. I assume it's for PWCs, but wouldn't it be easier to add a T in the line to the sump with a valve to divert the water to the drain line? It'll probably work as is, but not as fast as it could be.

good thought on the 1.5, maybe even bigger depending on how much diversion from the other drain

My 1" does nothing near 960. My return pump isn't even rated for that at 0 head height and I'm almost 4.5' up from there. I still have this suspicion that the Eshopps is named the 1200 because it has 2 1" drains.. each dropping approx 600 gph. What kind of return pump u have?

Are you going to recirculate on the denitrator?
I'm going to to recirculate the denitrator. The overflow has a 1 1/2 inch U tube feeding the back to compensate for up and over the tank thingy.

Kewl, everywhere I seen/read they say the recirc does wonders for denitrification

Unless those drains are 100% redundant, I'd look at upgrading that Y-pipe to 1.5". (It looks like you're using 1" PVC.) Otherwise you're not getting full flow through the drains.

I'm also not sure what the Y-pipe under the valve is for. I assume it's for PWCs, but wouldn't it be easier to add a T in the line to the sump with a valve to divert the water to the drain line? It'll probably work as is, but not as fast as it could be.

The Y under the valve is for additional water sources, ie denitrator and to feed the other input of my eheim 2080. I'm using a quiet 1 3000 and with a 4' head height she should be pushing between 550 to 600 gph. I'm getting more than I need as far as flow is concerned, i took a picture of my manifold valve settings, neither one is half way open and if open them all the way up they over take the pump very quickly. There is no need to increase the pipe size, besides I don't want a crazy amount of flow thru the sump/fuge.
img_1046792_0_a51f556c8379910102207b3bea674880.jpg

img_1046792_1_ea3725df2156136425171dd1e968296e.jpg

InfernoST,
I like the layout and would use layout # 2.

I think BigJim and CaptainAhab are right about the flow rates however. The table from flex PVC seemed very optimistic to me. The length of pipe, fittings, and bends all affect the flow rate. Also, any build up on the inside of the pipe will reduce the flow rate.

Your 1" PVC will flow about 510 gph (8.5 gpm) at a velocity of 3.5 ft/sec. The chart you were using assumed a 6.0 ft/sec flow rate which I believe to be overly optimistic. (BTW a 4 ft/sec flow rate gives the approximate 600 gph (580 gph) everyone quotes.)
A 1-1/4" pipe would allow about 920 gph at 4.0 ft/sec and about 800 gph at 3.5 ft/sec which I believe is a more realistic number. 1-1/2" would give you 1150 gph at 3.5 ft/sec.

I think a real world test of your overflow box ( say 2 - 5 gal. buckets of water timed through the overflow) would be a good idea to make sure it will perform as you want.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input Jim. That's good info, what ever the actual flow rate is, what it is now is plenty. My pump is pushing about 550 gph (Being on the conservative side) and neither one of the main valves is not near being fully open. I'm pleased with the performance as is and still have headroom if I want to increase the flow but I don't feel that will be necessary. I did do a test with straight 1 inch pipe into a 17 gallon tub and it took roughly 1 minute (Give or take) to get 15 gallons from one tub to the other before the siphon broke. I should of tested the overflow, maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom