Greatest cleaning tip of a glass aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ord6531

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought a 95 gallon tank from my brother in law, who was using it as a turtle tank. There was a layer of calcium deposits and dried algea on the upper half, and especially where the filter was. I went down to the local hardware store and bought some 1200/1400 grit wet/dry sand paper. Not only did it remove the build up, but it shined the glass as well. Just make sure you use poetry of water if you try this. I highly recommend it!

I've never thought of that. I'm assuming you mean plenty of water. ;)

Nope. I use alot of fine grit sand paper at work to polish epoxy moldings. 700 grit does scratch the glass even though it feels pretty smooth. The 1400 grit literally feels like paper. It's super smooth. You can manually polish the glass by hand or use a electric sander. I used a sander and a water bottle and keep squirting the
Glass. You don't want to let it dry out or I suppose it will scratch it.

I've never tried to get the scratchs out, but if you use a courser grit, like a 700, then use a 1200 and then use a 1400 that might work. Well at least that's what I do at work to get the epoxy moldings to look like glass.

automotive stores go all the way up to 2000 grit, then use polishing compound to make it completely disappear, this works well on acrylic, I would suppose the same applies for glass.

Wow...2000 grit? Why even call it "sand paper"? Why not just say paper. :) I will have to look for that. I'm sure if 1400 shines the glass, the 2000 must completely make it crystal clear. Have you ever tried/used it?

I have used it after shaping acrylic to buff it to a perfect finish again, rounded edges and such, the key in the end is actually the polishing compound to really take away the fog that is micro scratches.... I would say on glass, if you have a spot down in a corner, try it first, maybe someone else can comment about their success with glass vs. Acrylic

Got one better. Find somewhere you can purchase this stuff (I get mine through a guy whose company cleans carpets):

Ultra Chemical Labs

It is a food-grade, non-toxic, acid solution that will dissolve even the worst calcified deposits like magic....been using it on aquariums and aquarium equipment for years, and I will never look back.

Advanced auto had an automotive pack of really nice paper at 5 different grits up to 2000, it's for finishing a car before painting, the polishing compound is for after the paint is applied... It transitioned over perfectly to the small acrylic pieces I was cutting, then shaping... The polish made it flawless

image-421832368.jpg

This is what I was doing, they used to be chunks of acrylic, then buffed back, you can see the polishing compound in the background

I started sanding my tank and so far it works like a charm! This is some awesome advice. If it were possible to selll this advice you would be rich

Back
Top Bottom