Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-28-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
Green Water CURE!! Using a Magnum 350 as a Diatom Filter

[center:1134729b5a]Step by step instruction how to use Magnum 350 as diatom filter[/center:1134729b5a]
[center:1134729b5a] Article and Photos By Jay Luto[/center:1134729b5a]

I run my Magnum 350 w/ micron cartridge on daily basis and once in a while w/ diatom powder. It works great as for as polishing water and amazingly for Algae blooms. I had Algae Bloom in one of my planted tanks few years back and it was gone after 2 hours of Magnum filtration. It's also excellent for initial setup where Flourite is used and "cloudy water/new tank" is present.

This is my tank at initial stages with Flourite present. Don't you love that cloudiness

This picture is 1 hour later.

Here is a step by step explanation on how to use Magnum 350 for diatomic filtration.

1. You take your Mag 350 and fill it with regular water up to the line and you buy Vortex diatom earth powder (could be purchased in swimming pool store).

2. You take about 1 cup of diatom earth powder.

3. You dump the powder into the cansiter.

4. Now the tricky part. Place some type of container inside the tank so you could place your IN/OUT tubes inside that container.
Reason: Although powder is not harmfull to fish you don't want it floating in your tank.
Just wait till filter is done priming ---> powder is sticking to micron cartridge and then take that container out.

5. Final setup of Mag 350

Originally posted by Jay Luto on 4/11/03 at Aquabotanic original thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
I used this method to clean out a bacteria bloom and used to use it years ago in FW. It is actually a fairly old procedure.. What you are actually doing, is the same method that Pools use for filtration.. One of the reasons why pools are so clear...The micron filters that come with HOT Magnums, recommend Diatomacious Earth be used when that filter is to be used. It is what we call water polishing.

I personally do not recommend just dumping a cup of diatom powder in the canister. I use a turkey baster. Mix the diatom powder in a jar of tank water and use the turkey baster to suck it up and squeeze it into the intake slowly, letting the intake pull it in..or in the way that the picture is shown, mix it up and pour it into the container he has holding on the inside of the aquarium. This way there is no caking of the powder and you get even coverage of the micron filter. Also, the diatom powder is not cheap at the LFS. You may want to go to a Pool Supply store and get it cheaper, it is labeled DE.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't get it... Is the container that is inside the tank submerged so that the water mixes with the tank water? Or does the out tube flow into the container and then it overflows into the tank? The intake tube is inside the tank that is full of green water, right? And do you remove the diatom powder, (can you?), after everything is said and done?
MikeWinLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think the container in the tank is being used to cycle the DE powder through the filter (removing it from the container water completely and jamming it into the micron pleats), and then the tubes are transferred directly to the aquarium water (ie, no air ever gets into the tubes to get into the filter).

BTW, I use a HOT magnum with the same micron-type cartridge if I get an algae bloom, and don't need DE. The cartridge alone does the trick--- try it once without the powder, and if it works, save the headache.
Southeastern US residents, shoot me an email if interested in doing some fun fish/plant collecting!
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
How long would it take w/o the powder? Ive had mine running w/o the powder since 4pm (its 9 now) and its clearing up... but its not as drastic of a change as the pictures above using the powder

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Okay, im going to answer my own question since I found out on my own

If you do it with out powder, it takes 2-3 days to clear up completly..
Well, it took *me* 2-3 days and I couldn't even see the back of my tank is was so murky

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie
it works great it only takes about 3 to 4 hr tops, make sure you got a good coat on the micron filter for it to work
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
How long would it take w/o the powder? Ive had mine running w/o the powder since 4pm (its 9 now) and its clearing up... but its not as drastic of a change as the pictures above using the powder
Without the powder, the sleeve does not filter nearly as well as with the powder. The filter sleeve alone can filter down to about 10 -> 15 microns. With the DE powder, it can go down to 1 micron. Works way faster when you are filtering down to 1 micron, since almost nothing passed through the filter.

Even when you clean the tank without the powder and it looks clear, run the powder and check out how much junk collects
*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is an easy way of doing basically the same thing. First you need a "Drinking Water Filter Canister", a new sediment filter element, sheet of felt (from a fabric store) and a pump to plumb to it. This may not be "cheaper than dirt" but it certainly is cheaper than buying a new Hot Magnum and functions the same if not better. You can find the cheapest filter canisters on eBay.

I listed a link to a photo below.

After the filter element expires simply cut away the filter material and this will leave you with a plastic core. Simply wrap this core with felt. I like to use kite string to bind it to the core. Now you have a new cheaper than dirt filter element.

RandyStacyE is offline   Reply With Quote

cure, diatom, filter, green water, magnum, magnum 350

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com