Green Water CURE!! Using a Magnum 350 as a Diatom Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

[center:1134729b5a]Step by step instruction how to use Magnum 350 as diatom filter[/center:1134729b5a]
[center:1134729b5a] Article and Photos By Jay Luto[/center:1134729b5a]

I run my Magnum 350 w/ micron cartridge on daily basis and once in a while w/ diatom powder. It works great as for as polishing water and amazingly for Algae blooms. I had Algae Bloom in one of my planted tanks few years back and it was gone after 2 hours of Magnum filtration. It's also excellent for initial setup where Flourite is used and "cloudy water/new tank" is present.

This is my tank at initial stages with Flourite present. Don't you love that cloudiness :)

1231.jpg

This picture is 1 hour later.

1232.jpg

Here is a step by step explanation on how to use Magnum 350 for diatomic filtration.

1. You take your Mag 350 and fill it with regular water up to the line and you buy Vortex diatom earth powder (could be purchased in swimming pool store).

1233.jpg

2. You take about 1 cup of diatom earth powder.

1234.jpg

3. You dump the powder into the cansiter.

1235.jpg

4. Now the tricky part. Place some type of container inside the tank so you could place your IN/OUT tubes inside that container.
Reason: Although powder is not harmfull to fish you don't want it floating in your tank.
Just wait till filter is done priming ---> powder is sticking to micron cartridge and then take that container out.

1236.jpg

1237.jpg

5. Final setup of Mag 350

1238.jpg

Originally posted by Jay Luto on 4/11/03 at Aquabotanic original thread

http://www.aquabotanic.com/

I used this method to clean out a bacteria bloom and used to use it years ago in FW. It is actually a fairly old procedure.. What you are actually doing, is the same method that Pools use for filtration.. One of the reasons why pools are so clear...The micron filters that come with HOT Magnums, recommend Diatomacious Earth be used when that filter is to be used. It is what we call water polishing.

I personally do not recommend just dumping a cup of diatom powder in the canister. I use a turkey baster. Mix the diatom powder in a jar of tank water and use the turkey baster to suck it up and squeeze it into the intake slowly, letting the intake pull it in..or in the way that the picture is shown, mix it up and pour it into the container he has holding on the inside of the aquarium. This way there is no caking of the powder and you get even coverage of the micron filter. Also, the diatom powder is not cheap at the LFS. You may want to go to a Pool Supply store and get it cheaper, it is labeled DE.

WARNING! DE IS HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY AFFECT LUNGS. CANCER HAZARD. CONTAINS CRYSTALLINE SILICA WHICH CAN CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends upon duration and level of exposure.

I don't get it... Is the container that is inside the tank submerged so that the water mixes with the tank water? Or does the out tube flow into the container and then it overflows into the tank? The intake tube is inside the tank that is full of green water, right? And do you remove the diatom powder, (can you?), after everything is said and done?

I think the container in the tank is being used to cycle the DE powder through the filter (removing it from the container water completely and jamming it into the micron pleats), and then the tubes are transferred directly to the aquarium water (ie, no air ever gets into the tubes to get into the filter).

BTW, I use a HOT magnum with the same micron-type cartridge if I get an algae bloom, and don't need DE. The cartridge alone does the trick--- try it once without the powder, and if it works, save the headache.

How long would it take w/o the powder? Ive had mine running w/o the powder since 4pm (its 9 now) and its clearing up... but its not as drastic of a change as the pictures above using the powder

Okay, im going to answer my own question since I found out on my own

If you do it with out powder, it takes 2-3 days to clear up completly..
Well, it took *me* 2-3 days and I couldn't even see the back of my tank is was so murky

0X it works great it only takes about 3 to 4 hr tops, make sure you got a good coat on the micron filter for it to work

How long would it take w/o the powder? Ive had mine running w/o the powder since 4pm (its 9 now) and its clearing up... but its not as drastic of a change as the pictures above using the powder

Without the powder, the sleeve does not filter nearly as well as with the powder. The filter sleeve alone can filter down to about 10 -> 15 microns. With the DE powder, it can go down to 1 micron. Works way faster when you are filtering down to 1 micron, since almost nothing passed through the filter.

Even when you clean the tank without the powder and it looks clear, run the powder and check out how much junk collects :D

Here is an easy way of doing basically the same thing. First you need a "Drinking Water Filter Canister", a new sediment filter element, sheet of felt (from a fabric store) and a pump to plumb to it. This may not be "cheaper than dirt" but it certainly is cheaper than buying a new Hot Magnum and functions the same if not better. You can find the cheapest filter canisters on eBay.

I listed a link to a photo below.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2130240017&idx=1

After the filter element expires simply cut away the filter material and this will leave you with a plastic core. Simply wrap this core with felt. I like to use kite string to bind it to the core. Now you have a new cheaper than dirt filter element.

Back
Top Bottom