Grey patch in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fidgetromeo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I switched this 8gal tank to playsand about 2 weeks ago and I just noticed this dark grey patch, it wasn't there when I put it in... Any thoughts on what it is?

image-1646029929.jpg

Those are pockets of toxic ammonia that are trapped in the sand bed. If you don't have anyone stirring the sand this usually happens.

Ohh wow I had that in my fry tank good think its gone. I put in a bunch of snails and I guess they stirred the sand around enough

Me too I never knew it could do that. So to prevent it would one just poke around every once and awhile with like a fork or something?

Me too I never knew it could do that. So to prevent it would one just poke around every once and awhile with like a fork or something?

Pretty much, just stir it all around, remember to get all the way down until you touch the glass. If you see bubbles come up that means you're doing it right

Oh ya I get bubbles pop up in my dirted tank when I use the mag float and it skips. so since its dirted with a pfs cap I can't really stir it should I just poke around? I hope it doesn't harm my fry or shrimp.

Oh ya I get bubbles pop up in my dirted tank when I use the mag float and it skips. so since its dirted with a pfs cap I can't really stir it should I just poke around? I hope it doesn't harm my fry or shrimp.

Yeah just keep it under control and poke in it. I had a dirted tank and once the bubbles popped up because I neglected it, my fish started to die.

That would suck. One day I was pounding on the stand to get the bubbles out and my wife came in wandering what I was doing she thought I was going to scare the fry to death lol.

That would suck. One day I was pounding on the stand to get the bubbles out and my wife came in wandering what I was doing she thought I was going to scare the fry to death lol.

Haha, that must've been funny to see. I dunno what I would think if I saw someone shaking one of my tanks XD

I wasn't really shaking the tank. I was using the mag float and it was skipping across the glass. Well the vibrations were making air bubbles come up from down in the potting soil so I took the side of my fist and was kinda pounding on the side of the stand to get more of the bubbles out. I knew they were bad for the fish and what not bit just didn't know how bad. LoL and yes I bet she had a giggle about it.

I wasn't really shaking the tank. I was using the mag float and it was skipping across the glass. Well the vibrations were making air bubbles come up from down in the potting soil so I took the side of my fist and was kinda pounding on the side of the stand to get more of the bubbles out. I knew they were bad for the fish and what not bit just didn't know how bad. LoL and yes I bet she had a giggle about it.

Lol every time I use my mag the fish go crazy attacking it. Sounds fun :)

Just wondering win you let the air bubbles out of the sand will that rise the ammonia level then or is it the same as beffor the sand is moved I have some in my sand I can see it at the glass I moved some sand and let it escape but I only done a small bit in case it rises the ammonia I also done a 10% water change after

Back
Top Bottom