Gumball Machine 3gal Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtnDreamer30

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, and thanks for reading. Sorry this is a bit long.

I have been lugging around an old broken gumball machine for the past 3 years in hopes of one day converting it into a betta tank. I pulled it out and cleaned it up a few days ago, and have broken it down and stripped it of unnecessary parts.

I now have an empty base, a glass fish bowl that meets the dimensions of the original acrylic gumball bubble, and a lid.

I have everything worked out including an external heat source that will be attached to the bottom of the glass bowl via suction cups and housed on the interior of the base as to not been seen. I have run the power cord through the bottom of the base in the back as well. I tested the heat source and it keeps a stable water temp of 78 degrees, allowing for up to 4 degree temperature rise when the light is on or when the house is warmer in the winter time.

The problem I am faced with now is filtration. I know that betta fish are pretty versatile where filtration is concerned, and if weekly full water changes are done it is possible to keep one without filtration, but having kept a 50gal freshwater tank for several years I do not personally feel comfortable running ANY tank without a filter. So I have come to the masses for advice.

Initially I did not want any cords, tubes, etc entering the top of the bowl, as I felt it would detract from the aesthetics of the gumball machine theme. I now, however, do not care so much if I have an airline tube hidden by a plant or two. As long as the creature within is happy and well cared for. I also thought that if I change my mind and want a goldfish or frog, a filtered setup would better accommodate.

So, I've spent the day researching and surfing the web and decided to ask advice about two different filtration options for this small tank. (Larger tanks seem so much simpler where this is concerned) Obviously I would need a filter with a low level current for any one of my fish/frog options. The one that seems most appealing is the Lee's Round Under Gravel Bowl 2 gal filter, minus that ugly plastic plant. The other option was the Penn-Plax Smallword Pump & Filter Kit.

Both have their pros and cons in my eyes. But I am unfamiliar with either of these products and would hate to purchase one and regret it. Of course I plan on cycling for a couple of weeks before ever adding a live creature, to make sure the filter was doing it's job.

Also if anyone has any advice on lighting options I'd love to hear it. Initially I was just planning on affixing a battery operated waterproof LED unit to the inside of the lid via velcro for easy battery/bulb/fixture changes. But if I'm going to have the air tubing for a filter anyway, then there may be a better corded lighting option. (The lid is only about an inch deep and 4 1/2 inches in diameter.)

I have been lugging around an old broken gumball machine for the past 3 years in hopes of one day converting it into a betta tank. I pulled it out and cleaned it up a few days ago, and have broken it down and stripped it of unnecessary parts.

I now have an empty base, a glass fish bowl that meets the dimensions of the original acrylic gumball bubble, and a lid.

I have everything worked out including an external heat source that will be attached to the bottom of the glass bowl via suction cups and housed on the interior of the base as to not been seen. I have run the power cord through the bottom of the base in the back as well. I tested the heat source and it keeps a stable water temp of 78 degrees, allowing for up to 4 degree temperature rise when the light is on or when the house is warmer in the winter time.

The problem I am faced with now is filtration. I know that betta fish are pretty versatile where filtration is concerned, and if weekly full water changes are done it is possible to keep one without filtration, but having kept a 50gal freshwater tank for several years I do not personally feel comfortable running ANY tank without a filter. So I have come to the masses for advice.

Initially I did not want any cords, tubes, etc entering the top of the bowl, as I felt it would detract from the aesthetics of the gumball machine theme. I now, however, do not care so much if I have an airline tube hidden by a plant or two. As long as the creature within is happy and well cared for. I also thought that if I change my mind and want a goldfish or frog, a filtered setup would better accommodate.

So, I've spent the day researching and surfing the web and decided to ask advice about two different filtration options for this small tank. (Larger tanks seem so much simpler where this is concerned) Obviously I would need a filter with a low level current for any one of my fish/frog options. The one that seems most appealing is the Lee's Round Under Gravel Bowl 2 gal filter, minus that ugly plastic plant. The other option was the Penn-Plax Smallword Pump & Filter Kit.

Both have their pros and cons in my eyes. But I am unfamiliar with either of these products and would hate to purchase one and regret it. Of course I plan on cycling for a couple of weeks before ever adding a live creature, to make sure the filter was doing it's job.

Also if anyone has any advice on lighting options I'd love to hear it. Initially I was just planning on affixing a battery operated waterproof LED unit to the inside of the lid via velcro for easy battery/bulb/fixture changes. But if I'm going to have the air tubing for a filter anyway, then there may be a better corded lighting option. (The lid is only about an inch deep and 4 1/2 inches in diameter.)

The only way I could see filtration working is if you had a little sump with it.

I've never used either of those, so I can't say. I can say, don't even think about a gold fish for this thing. Betta, sure, but not a goldfish. They're too dirty, grow too fast, need too much space, and they like it cool, not warm.

I share the feeling that a cycled filtered tank is preferable, but having now kept Bettas for awhile both with and without filters, I know it's quite possible to keep them happy and content without one. I think I'd be more worried about good gas exchange than anything else, how much open air is there above the water in this setup ?

Have you thought about cherry shrimp possibly ? They'd do well, no heat needed or wanted and some low maintenance plants, like java fern or moss, would be plenty and not need a lot of light either. Just a thought.

I've never used either of those, so I can't say. I can say, don't even think about a gold fish for this thing. Betta, sure, but not a goldfish. They're too dirty, grow too fast, need too much space, and they like it cool, not warm.

I share the feeling that a cycled filtered tank is preferable, but having now kept Bettas for awhile both with and without filters, I know it's quite possible to keep them happy and content without one. I think I'd be more worried about good gas exchange than anything else, how much open air is there above the water in this setup ?

Have you thought about cherry shrimp possibly ? They'd do well, no heat needed or wanted and some low maintenance plants, like java fern or moss, would be plenty and not need a lot of light either. Just a thought.

I disagree, cherry shrimp would DEFINITELY need a heater and a filter that gives good has exchange.

Bettas breathe air. So they don't need gas exchange.

The fact Bettas can breathe air if they must does not mean they can do well in low oxygen water indefinitely.. and low oxygen can lead to stagnation, bacterial issues and smells too.

Why would cherry shrimp need a heater ? I keep them at 70, and they breed like mad. In fact they've been colder than that and continued to breed well. They prefer cooler temperatures than most fish, except the cool water species. They'll tolerate some higher temperatures, but don't need them.

But that's why I asked about gas exchange, as it happens. Filters don't necessarily provide gas exchange, it depends how they return water. It happens at the water surface.. CO2 comes out and is exchanged for oxygen there. Agitation of the surface, either with an air stone, or falling water from a filter outflow, helps gas exchange.

I agree about gas exchange. There is about 3-4 inches of open air in the globe (bowl) once filled.I would never consider filling it more than that. I am hoping that the filter will work for surface agitation and oxygenation without creating a disturbing current for a betta. Seeing as how I have no experience with UG filters I'm leaning toward the Penn-Plax. I did some research and have seen this filtration unit used in a similar concept tank. I do not, however, know what the outcome was for the betta within.

Thanks for the advice about the goldfish. I've never been fond of them anyway. I did have an African dwarf frog for a long time, but they tend to be messy as well, so betta seems like the more logical choice here.

I highly reccomend put a container or a small food grade Tupperware box or something and make it a sump. Put an azoo palm filter (9$ on dr. Foster and smith) on it and a small return pump

I did some research on sponge filters after your suggestion. It seems like a great choice here. Quick question that I was unable to find an answer to...how well does it work for water clarity and odor?

Ok I love this idea and would like to jump in with some input. If you are going to do this you may as well do it 100% to you satisfaction the first time! So the way I see it you want to maximize the tank space and minimize cords and other non asthetic additions. You could do a sponge filter but it will be unsightly and take up precious tank space (lets face it in a 3 gallon you need all you can get!)
What I would recomend is a sump. It will require more work to setup but I think in the end you will like it more. The other nice thing about it is the return can be placed so as to minimize flow!
There are 2 ways to do the sump. Either drill the bowl and run everything directly up through the bottom or run everything over the top. If you choose tbe latter you will want to devise a way to hide everything. I assume there is enough room in the bottom of the gunball machine for a very small sump? That would be ideal as it would hide everything.
Sounds like you are covered heating wise. Light wise LEDs are your best bet. How you want to run them could be tricky but I have 2 ideas. If you drill the tank (this would be what I would probably try if you are willing to buy another bowl if this one shatters) than you could run the LEDs wire through a piece of airline and out through the sump. It wouldnt be too difficult I dont think. Otherwise you can hide it the same way you do the sump return if you chose not to drill.
You can buy a LED string that is cuttable on amazon. I would shoot for 6500K and rgb. You should be able to find a cheap cuttable strand of these(if you want to spend a bit extra shoot for a more expensive single LED that is 6500 and rgb). Then I would do low light small plants to help with water quality.
These are my thoughts. It would be cool!

I use sponge filters for lots of my betta tanks. No odor, water is clear. They are easily hidden, you can't even see them.

Ok I love this idea and would like to jump in with some input. If you are going to do this you may as well do it 100% to you satisfaction the first time! So the way I see it you want to maximize the tank space and minimize cords and other non asthetic additions. You could do a sponge filter but it will be unsightly and take up precious tank space (lets face it in a 3 gallon you need all you can get!)
What I would recomend is a sump. It will require more work to setup but I think in the end you will like it more. The other nice thing about it is the return can be placed so as to minimize flow!
There are 2 ways to do the sump. Either drill the bowl and run everything directly up through the bottom or run everything over the top. If you choose tbe latter you will want to devise a way to hide everything. I assume there is enough room in the bottom of the gunball machine for a very small sump? That would be ideal as it would hide everything.
Sounds like you are covered heating wise. Light wise LEDs are your best bet. How you want to run them could be tricky but I have 2 ideas. If you drill the tank (this would be what I would probably try if you are willing to buy another bowl if this one shatters) than you could run the LEDs wire through a piece of airline and out through the sump. It wouldnt be too difficult I dont think. Otherwise you can hide it the same way you do the sump return if you chose not to drill.
You can buy a LED string that is cuttable on amazon. I would shoot for 6500K and rgb. You should be able to find a cheap cuttable strand of these(if you want to spend a bit extra shoot for a more expensive single LED that is 6500 and rgb). Then I would do low light small plants to help with water quality.
These are my thoughts. It would be cool!

+1. Pretty much what I was trying to get at. Speaking I usually won't put bettas in anything smaller then 5g, your gunna need every bit of space in that tank.

I like the idea of the sump running through the bottom. Problem with cutting the base of the bowl is that it was very hard to find this bowl that fit the original dimensions of the acrylic bubble that originally came with the machine. I think it's a fantastic idea though. I think I'm more inclined to do either a small sponge filter or a sump through the lid. I'm definitely planning on LEDs. I checked out the strips and I can totally see this working, especially with filtration running through the lid as well. As far as hiding everything, if I use a tall enough plant in the back it should mask all of the lines. I'd probably then only put one more plant off to the side and toward the back as well, keeping a reasonable sized hide in the frontal open area.

+1. Pretty much what I was trying to get at. Speaking I usually won't put bettas in anything smaller then 5g, your gunna need every bit of space in that tank.

Im actually considering trying this myself. I think it would be a fun project!

I like the idea of the sump running through the bottom. Problem with cutting the base of the bowl is that it was very hard to find this bowl that fit the original dimensions of the acrylic bubble that originally came with the machine. I think it's a fantastic idea though. I think I'm more inclined to do either a small sponge filter or a sump through the lid. I'm definitely planning on LEDs. I checked out the strips and I can totally see this working, especially with filtration running through the lid as well. As far as hiding everything, if I use a tall enough plant in the back it should mask all of the lines. I'd probably then only put one more plant off to the side and toward the back as well, keeping a reasonable sized hide in the frontal open area.

Sounds good! You may want to build a cover for the wires in the back on the outside of the tank.

I decided to try this! I have a gumball machine myself now!

Back
Top Bottom