Guppy Nursery Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4bettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I will be setting up a guppy nursery tank and I need to know what to put in it! I heard guppys love playing in the bubbles of a bubble filter! I didn't put any substrate! At all! should I have a live plant in there? Like a marimo moss ball? Or anything that is at PetSmart! I have a lot of pregnant guppies so there will be a LOT of babies! So I need to know when to start selling them! But I can find that online! Ant suggestions on what to put in the nursery? Thanks!:fish2:Luv4bettas

Moss and lots of floating plants that are bunched up like hornwort and elodea will increase the fry survival rate

Learn the name of the plant first. Some plants have different requirements to others then research what you need.

If you can rig a fry tank that would increase the survival rate as well. Live plants help tremendously but you CAN get away with plastic (yuck) as long as it is dense and the fry can hide in it without fear of predation.

Fry like floating plants as mentioned above but I had a tank with anacharis that had strands over 3 feet long. Since the tank was only 16 inches deep a lot of it floated and the fry seemed to like it, plus, I could cut pieces from the longer strands and just stick them in the substrate and they would grow (who doesn't like free plants?). Micro swords, dwarf hairgrass, and bacopa make pretty good fry plants too.

This is what I breed guppies in. Almost no loss.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408578595551.jpg
    1408578595551.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 101
I put my babies into a five gallon, with a whisper filter and let the female go, survival rate 100%

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

But you have to separate the fry from the adults or else they will get snacked on

With all the hornwart in my tank 95% survive and I leave the males and females in. The males are too busy chasing the females to care about the fry.

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In my 10 gallon the guppies all go after the fry, that's why I move them

Back
Top Bottom