hagen plant grow with Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I have used this system. It works well in a 5.5 gallon tank. In my 10 gallon tank, I used two of the gray canisters. The activator and stabilizer that comes with the kit is yeast and baking soda. Once you're finished with what is provided, you can buy yeast and baking soda at the grocery store. I found that wine yeast produced CO2 longer than bread yeast.

What is its use for?
In a salt water tank the LR and LS will convert nitrate and ammonia into nitrogen to be released at the surface. Adding this makes no sence. Unless you have a fresh water plant tank.

it's basically just a prepackaged diy system that you can do yourself for much cheaper. I just use a 2 liter soda bottle and mix the yeast and sugar together and run an airline with a micro bubble stone into the tank. works fine for me and my plants. i got a 2 lb block of active dry yeast from costco for just a few bucks and it should last me a year or more.

it's basically just a prepackaged diy system that you can do yourself for much cheaper. I just use a 2 liter soda bottle and mix the yeast and sugar together and run an airline with a micro bubble stone into the tank. works fine for me and my plants. i got a 2 lb block of active dry yeast from costco for just a few bucks and it should last me a year or more.

Is there a place I can get direction on making one of those? I am starting to put plants in all three of my tanks. It would be nice to make one cheap. I will check costco's to for yeast!

I really want to find a good diy co2 that I know someone has tried out and knows it works. I got a friend coming out this weekend to help me make one. :p If I can find one that works.

I've had good luck just using 2 liter bottles (I'd use 2 on a 10g) and the DIY mix with either a small submersible water pump or powerhead or using a limewood airstone under the filter output.

I can't imagine the Hagen thing producing enough co2 for a 10g.....even though it says for up to 20g. Its only like a liter I think.

The Hagen System works fine but is just DIY CO2 in a pretty package. As Kristin pointed out it's over rated as far as the Aquarium size that it is good for, so they are obviously targeting a much lower level of CO2 than generally recommended.

The article that rkilling linked is the one I used when building my DIY CO2 (way back when before going pressurized) and is very informative. I used this GWAPA article to build my inline reactor (with a few minor modifications to reduce size and account for parts available at my hardware store). Champagne Yeast is really good and can extend the life of the mix to about 4 weeks if you can track it down. The bread yeast works just fine, but you have to change the mix more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom