Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Hagen's CO2, common bibble rate?

Hey all. I am very glad to say that I recently finsihed setting up my 10 gallon tank. I got all the goodies for the plants but one of them I have a question about. For Hagen's CO2, whats the common bubble rate? I had it set up yesterday followed the instructions and am getting about one bubble per minute. Is this supposed to speed up after installation? If not what do I do to speed it up? thanks all.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:17 AM   #2

It should speed up, mine go about 1 bubble a minute for a day or 2, then speed up to about 1 bubble every 4 seconds. that lasts for 10-12 days, then it declines again. I find i need to change it at about 17 days.

I've also found the homemade ingredients work better. still 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon bread yeast (perhaps a little bit more). I think it's more yeast that makes it bubble better, but i'm not positive.

You prolly know this, but that's all that is in the Hagen packets, yeast in one, baking soda in the other!
Old 06-12-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I use 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp yeast, and no baking soda (although this time I think I'm going to put it in my mixture). I'm not sure how long it lasts, because I have two soda bottles, and I change one every other week. I get about 1 bubble a second.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:10 PM   #4

My recipe above is specifically for the Hagen unit.

On 2 liter soda bottles, I use 6 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and yeast. They last almost 4 weeks.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That much sugar? I'm worried it will overload my tank with co2 and turn it into an acid pool. How does the Hagen unit regulate the bubbles?
Old 06-12-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

sweet thanks! Once this CO2 is done, I will try Homemade mixtures or stuff. right now it does one bubble per 45 seconds or so.
Oh yeah while were here anyone know why I can't post pics? I don't get the upload option I so wanna show off my tank thanks!
Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

nevermind got it
Old 06-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
That much sugar? I'm worried it will overload my tank with co2 and turn it into an acid pool. How does the Hagen unit regulate the bubbles?
I have two 2 liters running on a 20 gallon tank, ph 6.5. I've read elsewhere that it is next to impossible to kill your tank with diy co2. (pressurized co2 is a whole different store). I've never run more than 2 bottles at once, but also never killed a fish, or had my ph fall below 6.3. My water from the tap is 7.5 or so. I think the sugar is only used at a certain rate, so the main effect is that they last longer, at least thats the theory.

The hagen unit doesn't regulate the bubbles, no valve of any sort, but it is efficient with the difffuser that comes with it. its a ramp that the bubbles travel up, zig-zagging back and forth, you can see the bubbles shrink on their way up, so the co2 is absorbed into the water. Eventually, I'll get some more of the diffusers to use with my 2liters. right now i just have them with airstones, which is pretty inefficient.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Man, as the spelling police, I should at least cite all of you. At this time, I will just lash you thoroughly.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks CC, I just changed one bottle today with your formula, I want to see if it will work for my tank--I'll change bottles every two weeks instead of one.

Tags
co2, common, hagen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com