Hagen's CO2, common bibble rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all. I am very glad to say that I recently finsihed setting up my 10 gallon tank. I got all the goodies for the plants but one of them I have a question about. For Hagen's CO2, whats the common bubble rate? I had it set up yesterday followed the instructions and am getting about one bubble per minute. Is this supposed to speed up after installation? If not what do I do to speed it up? thanks all.

It should speed up, mine go about 1 bubble a minute for a day or 2, then speed up to about 1 bubble every 4 seconds. that lasts for 10-12 days, then it declines again. I find i need to change it at about 17 days.

I've also found the homemade ingredients work better. still 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon bread yeast (perhaps a little bit more). I think it's more yeast that makes it bubble better, but i'm not positive.

You prolly know this, but that's all that is in the Hagen packets, yeast in one, baking soda in the other!

I use 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp yeast, and no baking soda (although this time I think I'm going to put it in my mixture). I'm not sure how long it lasts, because I have two soda bottles, and I change one every other week. I get about 1 bubble a second.

My recipe above is specifically for the Hagen unit.

On 2 liter soda bottles, I use 6 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and yeast. They last almost 4 weeks.

That much sugar? I'm worried it will overload my tank with co2 and turn it into an acid pool. How does the Hagen unit regulate the bubbles?

sweet thanks! Once this CO2 is done, I will try Homemade mixtures or stuff. right now it does one bubble per 45 seconds or so.
Oh yeah while were here anyone know why I can't post pics? I don't get the upload option :cry: I so wanna show off my tank :twisted: thanks!

That much sugar? I'm worried it will overload my tank with co2 and turn it into an acid pool. How does the Hagen unit regulate the bubbles?

I have two 2 liters running on a 20 gallon tank, ph 6.5. I've read elsewhere that it is next to impossible to kill your tank with diy co2. (pressurized co2 is a whole different store). I've never run more than 2 bottles at once, but also never killed a fish, or had my ph fall below 6.3. My water from the tap is 7.5 or so. I think the sugar is only used at a certain rate, so the main effect is that they last longer, at least thats the theory.

The hagen unit doesn't regulate the bubbles, no valve of any sort, but it is efficient with the difffuser that comes with it. its a ramp that the bubbles travel up, zig-zagging back and forth, you can see the bubbles shrink on their way up, so the co2 is absorbed into the water. Eventually, I'll get some more of the diffusers to use with my 2liters. right now i just have them with airstones, which is pretty inefficient.

Man, as the spelling police, I should at least cite all of you. At this time, I will just lash you thoroughly.

Thanks CC, I just changed one bottle today with your formula, I want to see if it will work for my tank--I'll change bottles every two weeks instead of one.

when is it best to change the mistures in the Hagen unit, like at what bubble rate should I start thinking about mixing up a new batch? :mrgreen:

Very good question 'lobes. I've been changing it every 3 weeks, not really sure about the bubble rate. :oops: next time i'll count the rate. I'm kinda lazy, never keep records of that sort of thing, i just have a calendar and mark off 3 weeks for changes.

One question for you 'lobes, you still at 1 bubble per 45 seconds? thats really low. did you tighten the lid really tight on the Hagen unit? it needs to be really cranked on so no co2 leaks. no tools or anything, just hand tighten as best you can, and so you can get it unscrewed to change your mix.

oh my bad I comepletely forgot to update that, no longer is the mighty CO2 bubble rate at 1 bubble per 45 seconds.. it is at a monster 5 seconds :twisted: The really good part is that when it got to that rate I had to stop it for a second... I decided that I really wanted a one way valve (sorry I forgot what it is actually called). But even after the minute or so that the canister was completely untubed (meaning that the pulled the tube off the opening of the canister) it got back to its original rate fast (meaning it built it;s pressure back up quick). :mrgreen:
I am also happy to mention that after hours of trying to stop make the stupid bubble diffuser not have the bubbles clog, and eventually I gave up in a rut :evil: , I left hang out with a friend and came home about 3 or 4 hours later... and to my surprise the problem fixed itself and the bubbles were rising up the diffuser as normal 8O yay! 8)

Back
Top Bottom