Hand-tighten bulkheads only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just ordered two bulkheads and silicone from Dr. Fosters. Hope it arrives quickly. So for now, I get to relax a little waiting for project time to come around again.

It can be difficult. I just sold my 300, which is still in my wall until Saturday, and I am already considering driving out to a store tomorrow and picking up a 93 cube. This money was supposed to (and is) go towards new windows and siding.

i mean technically a fish tank is made from glass... so using it AS a window is always possible.

That would be one heck of a window, but I like your thinking. That would be a big change from a 300, but given my luck with this project so far, I'd be happy with a running 93. Learning a new level of patience with this one. But I'll be happy once I'm done. Hope the windows and siding install goes well.

I think you'll love the cube mr. X, I happen to like my 60g cube very much. The only downside is the cabinet and stuff underneath, its just so small being only 24 inches square. Not sure what you will be getting with a 93g cube, might be better space wise.
:)

It won't occur again if you use the lubricant.

I'm sorry but I have to say this,

It wouldn't have occurred if silicone was used in the first instance.
Silicone is as cheap as chips! (Potato chips, not gambling chips)

I'm sorry that you ended up wasting a bunch of money.

Peace to all.

((Post is in no way directed at the person responsible for the quote) it is just a very appropriate phrase that prompted my response)

The reason for threaded bulkheads is so you can remove them. They aren't meant to be in place for ever and ever, until you throw the tank away. This is why you never glue them shut with silicone caulk.

Doug I appreciate that, however bulkheads leaking is costly. In my game (building) we always seal them for life as it is easier to modify the pipe work than to deal with a leak. Many things in life are reusable but they shouldn't be. Silicone can be removed from the glass preventing loss of tank and preserving its integrity, at the expense of a new bulkhead when the time arises.

How often are reef systems or any such multi tank system moved?
I allowed for a de mountable instance already, (#4) this will allow deconstruction and rebuild with no additional cost from the original installation.

Regards, Jamie.

Now I've thought about it, (beer magic) the thread is to ensure good even tightness. Under sink, basin, bath and shower tray, without rotational force on fitting. Allows correct alignment of plug holes for the "look"

It also allows it to be tightened from one side only, expansion tank and water storage tank and in some cases those outlined above, mainly bath tubs.

In these cases above the bulkhead was never reused, the whole system or part thereof, shower trays etc. was replaced with new items.

I still mean no offence to anyone.

but why use a sealant thats going to destroy the bulkhead when you can just as easily use lubricant to seal it and then if the need arises you can simply unscrew it? thats wasteful. the one thing i find astounding is that in our hobby, we constantly preach redundancy to promote safety and stability of our tanks. why would we not apply this same logic to bulkheads? what happens if a bulkheads springs a leak on an extended holiday weekend when you cant get another bulkhead for 3-4 days? if you siliconed it....you are screwed. if youused lubricant, you could simply loosen it, readjust accordingly, then reseal. i would have used lubricant on my bulkheads to seal them. but i didnt know of it so now im stuck hopinh that my bulkheads dont leak.

but why use a sealant thats going to destroy the bulkhead when you can just as easily use lubricant to seal it and then if the need arises you can simply unscrew it? thats wasteful. the one thing i find astounding is that in our hobby, we constantly preach redundancy to promote safety and stability of our tanks. why would we not apply this same logic to bulkheads? what happens if a bulkheads springs a leak on an extended holiday weekend when you cant get another bulkhead for 3-4 days? if you siliconed it....you are screwed. if youused lubricant, you could simply loosen it, readjust accordingly, then reseal. i would have used lubricant on my bulkheads to seal them. but i didnt know of it so now im stuck hopinh that my bulkheads dont leak.

If you're being really clever you can use a flow control valve (tap) for the straight connector knocking out two problems. It is re usable if you know plumbing! It is headache free and a one time only costing.

Silicone can be cut. If the bulkhead leaks whilst on holiday in any case you are screwed. It wouldn't spring a leak if it was correctly installed unless physically damaged. If you shocked the fitting enough to damage it, personally I would be more concerned with the broken tank.

Floated Glass is more brittle than an abs plastic fitting of almost any configuration.

The adhesive break strain of silicone must be seen to be believed.

It is used because it can be trusted!

My big tank can be picked up from the base panel by suckers and the tank stays complete. 12mm glass is 30kgs per sq. metre.

That's a lot of force, now consider water pressure on those joints, 750 kgs. Not even a mild bulge. It is safe, that's why it is used to fix in place massive panels of glass in buildings.

That tank could be siliconed to a properly prepared substrate and be deemed safe. Ie you could glue it to the wall with silicone. I wouldn't fill it though!

what are you even talking about?? its plain and simple. why use a product that is going to require you to alter/destroy a bulkhead to get it off?? when you can just as simply use a lubricant to seal it??

I still mean no offence to anyone.
I'll speak for myself- no way do I think you are being negative or offensive. I thank you for your experienced input.
Believe it or not, every day reef ready tanks are broken down and sold from one to another. As a matter of fact, I'm selling mine now and the new owner will have no problem removing my bulkheads ;)

In response to huma, peace of mind. Ask the OP.
In response to mr x. The plumbing will be the same. Why remove it?

You will have a bulkhead and a piece of pipe, the pipe can be plumbed on to the next system. Reduction fittings are available to cater for any difference that might arise.

They will be in the way during transport. A good chance to crack the glass at the very least. I myself, would want to reseal or replace bulkheads on a used setup.

What is this! Every possible reason! Travel with care, select an appropriate sized vehicle and ensure the item being moved is safely and securely loaded to prevent loss during transit!

:ROFLMAO:

i didnt even think of that aspect, yeah trying to safely transport a drilled tank with bulkheads installed is a gamble at best.

Back
Top Bottom