Has anyone build thier own tank? Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishboy-from-NY

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone, I am finally moving out, not to Florida, but to a huge house in PA and I would like to take on a huge responsiblity in building my own tank. It going to be Saltwater the dimensions that I desire are 96L X 36W X 30H. I think that would be a great size for some Blue Dot Sting Rays and have space to really structure it nicely. Please let me know if anyone knows some good web sites for advice or know the right places within 50 miles from NY, NY 10033 that I can purchase the supplies.

That is about the size of my tank, except mine is 36 inches tall. I have 1" acrylic 1/2" is risky.

Brenden, I've been meaning to tell you for a long time that I absolutely loooove your avatar!! :D

I apologize everybody for deviating the subject, I just had to 'say it'. :D

I would be scared to build something like you are talking about until I did a lot of experimenting. 450 gallons of water will destroy a house. If I was going that large I would pay the extra money and have someone build it that does it for a living. Besides if you are going with a tank that large the tank will be a minor expense compare to the money you will spend on everything else. My "professionally" made tank was only 15-20 % of the cost of my setup. Not worth the risk. You are talking about over 2 tons of water.

I would have to agree. Something of this size I would go no less than 1" acrylic. Mine is a 120 gal and it is 1/2". Remember, acrylic sheets are expensive these days due to the fuel prices, so be prepared to spend quite a bit. If it were me, I would just have someone do it, but I am not a DIY guy so it's up to you.

Mike

Brenden said:
That is about the size of my tank, except mine is 36 inches tall. I have 1" acrylic 1/2" is risky.

Hey Brenden, did you make you rown tank? how much did everything cost? Also do you have PICS? Let me know if you also build a canopy top and stand for it too.

Back
Top Bottom