Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by Fehyd
ok, this may sound a bit silly... but what you guys are describing is a toilet. We already HAVE all of the tech for this at our disposal. why not just directly copy a standard toilet tank/plumbing and make it "flush" once a week?
No wonder why this inspiration came to me during one of THOSE moments. 8O

Had you already looked at my plans for an auto-toff of system or what? Dam, are you saying I can't retire off off this idea? Have to go back to that plan to earn a million dollars being a teacher!

Billyz you are on to something with the switch.

Keep it coming guys!

phishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am however planning on moving it to (or getting a larger- don't tell my wife) my finished basement in the next year or two.
Is the basement already finished? If not, build the basement around your tank requirements! I have a finished basement with an office which shares a wall with the laundry room. This is fantastic, and is secretely the reason I agreed to buy this house I cut a whole in the wall, and sent all plumbing into the laundry room. I have a holding tank, room for a sump, air pumps are far enough away not to be a noise problem, and a sink just feet away. I went FW, put canisters there, but will switch to a sump when I get a tank with built in overflows.

OK. I hate water changes too. I am currently building a system that only reguires me to flip one switch for water out, and one switch for water in from a holding tank. then I have to fill the holding tank. It is simply a submersible magdrive pump in the holding tank with a hose to an outflow tube in the displaytank. I then have another outflow tube in the display tank that I am connecting to another magdrive pump that will have plumbing run to a drain sink in the laundry room. Turn one on, watch the water go down, turn off when desired. Turn the other on, watch the water go up, turn off when desired. connect hose to sink, replenish holding tank. Thats it! Takes about 10 minutes. Not as fancy as an automated computer controlled system, but what the heck. When I get tired of running a hose to the holding tank, I will hire a plumber to run a pipe and spigot over to it! I even found what looks like an extension cord, but is actually a remote on off switch with a plug on one end, which I ran over to the display tank so I could operate the pumps while I watched the water level. I am really satisfied with this, especially since I used to use buckets.

Start planning now, make modifications to the basement at your leisure, and your wife might not figure out what you are up to until you bring home the new tank

Edit: Duh. I just read the second post more carefully and It is exactly what I have built, except I don't have a sump and I use a pump to send water to the drain. Well, great minds think alike? Anyway the system is up and running and here is a link to my full description. Not automated, no patents, but water changes effortlessly in 5 or ten minutes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterchange_888.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	222  

TomK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie
automatic water change system

Amazingly I had the same idea and working on the implementation. The only problem I found the irrigation valves need some inlet pressure of water to operate correctly. What we are trying to do is to use gravity to drain the tank. The amount of water will not generate enough pressure for the valve to close correctly. This is what I was told by the rainbird tech. Rainbird is one of the biggest manufactures of those type of inexpensive valves.
Val Kosiecki
polarzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
That's interesting, My plan has not come together simply due to a lack of time. I probably would have used rainbird since they seem to be the most reliable, but who knows? Why would the pressure be a factor. It should be an electronic solenoid opening and closing. I have never read a minimum pressure on any info, but maybe it does assist on the valve closing. That might actually contribute to the dependability in the irrigation system. Sorry, thinking out loud.

Do they make lower flow valves like a drip system?

I don't know if the high flow, low pressure pumps we use in this hobby would generate enough pressure to help. I was originally thinking that one valve led to the drain, and the return to the tank went unvalved. The gravity would simply force the water downhill instead of back up to the tank.

As you can see, others had ideas of float valves and different pumps or powerheads to move the water, but I was thinking of not adding anything else to the system.

The darn h2o pressure thing tanked my auto top off system also. I can't get a toilet valve that is gravity fed to function correctly given the confines of a cabinet. If the holding tank were much higher, That idea could possibly work also.
phishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently wrote a report on solenoid valves. Some REQUIRE pressure and some don't.

hashbaz is offline   Reply With Quote

stem, system, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com