Heavy duty tank cabinet build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I had planned on putting in one of those little spring loaded magnet things on each door. That will keep it from falling through, I hope.

No, I haven't. I'm thinking since I bought three 8' pieces and I've already stained them that I might just try to splice some piece together to get the length for the long sides. Basically use three smaller pieces to cover the front and back edge and a single piece for each side. Not sure I can make that look good. If not then I'll have to go buy more trim and this will go to waste just like the 1/4 round pieces.

Have the poly on both sides of one of one the side sheets and on the face side of the other one. I'm going to go sand down the face side of one of them now while I'm waiting for dinner to cook. Then maybe I can get the second coat on that one tonight.

Added two new pics of the Radiata Pine side panels. One with only one coat of poly and the other with two coats having been sanded after the first coat. Yes I know the thing shouldn't be outside on the lawn but my house is completely taken up with tools and boards, etc. Plus I'm very near throwing up from the smell of all of the varnish and poly.

Added a second coat of poly to the side panel that only had one coat and hadn't been sanded. Just want to see the diff between that and the one I sanded in between coats. This stuff is very rough and really soaks up the stain and poly.

Well I ended up having to get different trim for the top edges, yet again. However it is now on so I won't need anymore for that. I cut the top out today that was scary after working so hard to get it to look nice but it went well. Then screwed the top down to the frame and put the trim on it.

Turned out after making the top I had just enough of the birch left to make the floor for the inside of the cabinet. Getting all of the cuts for that was a total pain in butt.

That is enough to tonight. There are several new pictures up here.

Looking really good you had a good day

Thanks. :D It was nice to finally get a little more of it put together. I was worried that putting the poly on before cutting was going to be a mistake however as it turned out that helped keep the splintering down to a minimum when I cut the pieces. Getting all of the little cuts in the base boards was very time consuming but the fit came out nice.

Tonight I need to sand down the side boards again and give them another coat of poly. While those are drying I'm going to think about how the heck to cut the top doors.

I was hoping I could pick up some prefab cabinet doors (for the front) at Lowes but they don't carry any. It makes sense given that most cabinets are different sizes.

Will try to post another update tonight.

zparticle said:
Okay just sanded down the side panels again, now going to apply the 3rd and final coat of poly.

You can order them in it's a little pricy not too bad and well worth it you will love the look if you do decide to order them in it will take a couple weeks and I would get them unfinished so you can match it perfectly

I might do that but for right now I want to get something in there, so I'm going to make my own and see how they come out.

The power strips showed up today, I have to wait for the poly to dry on the side sheets so I installed them, they come with little brackets that they just snap into, very cool. These are just what I was hoping for.

New pictures are up.

It's looking really good I bet your excited for the finished product to tell you the truth I wouldn't cut for doors in the top cause it looks amazing and would kinda be hard to get at behind the tank I would just leave it under the stand and just open the main doors to access them IMO but totally up to you

Yeah I was trying to decide what to do. I want to be able to run the cables inside of the cabinet. I could either cut the hole in the, the sides or the back. The problem with doing it on the back side is if I ever want to put this in the middle of a room the back will be ugly. Maybe the side is the way to go. Or maybe just drill some holes in the back near the top.

What do you think?

You may not agree but I drilled a hole in the top at the back with a hole saw like an office desk and put the rubber trim peice around it know what I mean?

Glad you know what I ment I got mine at staples I don't know if you have those in the states but any big office supplier should have them I went with brown cause it matched my stand but the were more colors

Back
Top Bottom