HELP-Breeder Trap Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henningc

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased some 1/4" medium wieght plastic square mesh material used in industrial fisheries cages. My plan is to offset some of the cost by selling a few breeder traps for liverbears or egg scattering egg layers. I really need suggestions and any and all advice with be appreciate.

Here is my current line of thinking:

Livebearer breeding traps are built so parents stay in and fry swim out. Should these hang on the side of the tank and how long would you suggest? Or should these be constructed so the bottom rests on the substrate? The top to bottom way allows adult fish to get at all food placed in the trap.

For egg layers / fish that scatter eggs, The design will have to snuggly fit the width and length of the tank. This concept works because eggs fall through and parent can't eat them.

So please P.M. me with suggestions. I want to build something functional for other instead of just me. I plan to use this material to build huge livebearer breeding traps for my kiddie pools and vat next summer.

I would a hanger but use something to block the holes on the bottom that way the adults can get the food there. This would use less material, especially if you have something that can block the holes (quilt batting?).

You can also use pvc pipe to make a hook that can hook onto the side of the tank. Then drill a hole in the pvc so you can ziptie it to the box. Also you should probably cap the end that is in the water to prevent fish from getting stuck in or from siphoning your tank on accident or something lol

Hope I helped!

Back
Top Bottom