Help/critique Needed on my first sump plan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swinse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. I have just purchased a second hand 180G to put my cichlids in which are outgrowing their current home which is a 33G. I plan on using the old tank to make a sump for the new bigger tank.

I modelled this plan to help myself figure out what I wanted and to better visualise what I needed to do.

5MWMUJR.jpg

xc1RWOq.jpg

Tank specs are 180G 6x2x2 with a 33G 4x1x1 sump

The main tank has a tempered base for some reason so I will be DIY drilling the pipe holes into side.

The plan/colours key:

[First Section] Water comes into sump and goes through drip tray(green) to spread out incoming water to all of filter pads/wool(purple). Egg crate(green) separates filter pads from bioballs (black).

[Second Section] Refugium where I will be keeping plants for my other tanks that need a break from being snacked upon. My fish eat anything :( even Java Fern or Anubius. Will also be a group of shrimp which i hope to breed as food.

[Third Section] Heaters(aqua) and return pump(purple).

My questions:

(1) should I put the overflow box from top to bottom and put the outflow pipes near the bottom of the tank?

(2) Do I need two outflow pipes? A lot of pics/vids I saw had multiple to ensure flow? I want to have an attachment with a tap to help with water changes.

(3) Should I put a heater into the refugium for the shrimp/plants?

(4) How do I calculate the size of the pipes I need?

(5) Height of the overflow box in relation to top of water? Enough to provide a slow continuous flow or do i want more of a "waterfall" into the box?

Any criticism or such is welcome as this is my first tank of this size or tank with a sump.

Thanks

Tank specs are 180G 6x2x2 with a 33G 4x1x1 sump

My questions:

(1) should I put the overflow box from top to bottom and put the outflow pipes near the bottom of the tank?

NO! If the pipes are at the bottom and the pump fails. . .FLOOD.
The way you have it, pump activity determines overflow.

(2) Do I need two outflow pipes? A lot of pics/vids I saw had multiple to ensure flow? I want to have an attachment with a tap to help with water changes.

Normally one pipe is higher and serves as an overflow. The tap is simple, fit a T into the outflow pipe to which you fit the pipe/tap.

(3) Should I put a heater into the refugium for the shrimp/plants?

The heaters in the sump should be capable of heating total volume. No need. (Otherwise you'd have a cold tank?)

(4) How do I calculate the size of the pipes I need?

Google!:ROFLMAO: search, Calculating pipe flow/diameter.

(5) Height of the overflow box in relation to top of water? Enough to provide a slow continuous flow or do i want more of a "waterfall" into the box?

Do you mean overflow volume? The box I think is designed to stop fish getting in. (Reef tank, weir comb)
If you're drilling into the side of a tank, that's your outlet. Do you need an overflow box inside? High pipe (emergency) low pipe (system run)< slightly lower not at the bottom. I guess the box could help preserve tank volume in the event of a power cut.
Not sure? It may be relative to the pipe capacity. (I think)

Any criticism or such is welcome as this is my first tank of this size or tank with a sump.

Thanks

Otherwise, build it, send me a picture! (y)

Edit-One criticism, each elbow will reduce flow both in and out. Try to eliminate as many bends as possible. I think it's one elbow=1 foot head.
There's 3 foot head additional, by my eyes. 1in/2out, you could allow for this when you determine pump and pipe.
(Two pipes into one, unpressurised, you do not gain much additional flow unless the bore changes to accommodate volume, yes under pressure you can get more flow)
^unequal T^

Thanks for you reply, cleared up a few things. The plans have changed quite a bit since I posted this though.

I drilled the holes on the back of the tank so that there will be less pipe and corners required.

When I went to the hardware store nearby the guy in the plumbing section asked what I needed the stuff for and turns out he and another guy in the store where heavily into aquariums so they helped me out a heap.

Have spent the last few days dismantling, sanding down and reassembling the stand which I got with the tank. Tomorrow is staining and then varnishing. Then I can put the tank back onto stand and rest the resealing I did.

Will post pics when done.

I would put the separators inside the sump tank .5" down from the top. just incase something gets plugged in the sump it won't over flow onto the floor just into the next chamber

Subscribed. Starting my thinking/planning of a sump build. Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom