Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question HELP! DIY RGB LED - Complete Novice!

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone here can help as I have searched the web all night with no luck! I know absolutely nothing about LEDs but am determined to get this to work!

I am trying to make a remote controlled single 10W LED spotlight to put over my IM-10 fusion nano tank... I want this to be a controllable RGB light so that I can change the color with the remote. This will be purely for aesthetics and not to support plants/corals. I don't want to use the pre-made LED strip lights because I am housing this inside a Kessil A150 (the Kassil burnt out a while ago so I am repurposing the housing).

Right... So here are the components I have...

So, now my goal is to (if it's even possible) connect these 4 coloured cables into a single 10W RGB LED chip. I have bought the following two chips hoping one of them would work...

Will either of these chips connect to the 4 coloured cables? If so, how do I connect them? If not, what kind of chip should I be using?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	283028   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	283029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	283030   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	283031  

Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know nothing about DIY led lights but wish I did.
Ziggy is building/rebuilding his leds with new 3 watt drivers in his 54g corner build
...Ziggy's 54g Corner ReScape
Maybe he could help you out?
Definitely interested in the build.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Your color controller is for red green blue. Only the rgb chip will work not the rgbw one. 12v red and black go to the red black inputs to color controller. Red green blue outputs each go to corresponding red green blue + sides of the chip. The red green blue -- sides of the chip will ALL BE connected together and connect to the one remaining black connector on the output side of the controller. I didn't check but assume the power converter (from AC to DC) has the correct voltage and milliamperage that the led chip is designed for. Check this before hooking or soldering any wires together.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You could use the rgbw chip. Just don't hook anything to the w+ or w- connections on the board.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I know nothing about DIY led lights but wish I did.
Ziggy is building/rebuilding his leds with new 3 watt drivers in his 54g corner build
...Ziggy's 54g Corner ReScape
Maybe he could help you out?
Definitely interested in the build.
Thanks, I took a look and he definitely knows his LEDs! Unfortunately for me he wasn't messing around with RGBs so I am still in the dark (literally).

I'll post a video to show what I am trying to achieve and how I have it setup so far.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martellmike View Post
Your color controller is for red green blue. Only the rgb chip will work not the rgbw one. 12v red and black go to the red black inputs to color controller. Red green blue outputs each go to corresponding red green blue + sides of the chip. The red green blue -- sides of the chip will ALL BE connected together and connect to the one remaining black connector on the output side of the controller. I didn't check but assume the power converter (from AC to DC) has the correct voltage and milliamperage that the led chip is designed for. Check this before hooking or soldering any wires together.
Thanks Mike! The chips haven't arrived yet but I'll give the RGB one a try when it does. I know the AC to DC power converter has the correct voltage (12V 10W) and is outputting DC0.83 amps. With the particular chip I ordered (see it here) the amps are not specified in the description. I think I'll just hook it up and see what happens. I assume the worst case it is burns out the LED chip and the controller will be perfectly fine, right?

My main goal is just to get an RGB LED floodlight inside a Kessil A150 housing. I'd really prefer to use the controller box as I have already purchased it and mounted it and wired it in under my tank (along with the power converter). Obviously the RBG LED strips would be a simple plug and play but they wouldn't fit in the Kessil and I'm adamant about using it!

As it stands my tank has an empty Kessil fixture hanging over it with the 4 cables hanging out of it - don't worry it's not plugged in! With my self-diagnosed OCD, this is driving me mad!

The chip should arrive within the next couple of days and I'll give it a go. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes only the chips will burn out, not controller or power supply. Most less run at less than 12 volts. They're made to be connected in series to totally draw the 12 volts. I would test the LEDs with a 1.5 volt flashlight battery first.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by martellmike View Post
Yes only the chips will burn out, not controller or power supply. Most less run at less than 12 volts. They're made to be connected in series to totally draw the 12 volts. I would test the LEDs with a 1.5 volt flashlight battery first.

Great tip, I'll do that! I think if all else fails I might just end up cramming a flexi LED strip light into the kessil fixture... Not ideal but may be sufficient.

I'm only intending to use this light as an accent light in the evenings once my main light is out (the main light is a kessil A150 Amazon Sun). So the light doesn't need to be very bright.

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got some of those 12' rgb strips off amazon, they're freakin sweet. They'd make excellent accent lighting and they'd probably grow plants of you could get all 12' switch back style into a hood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
diy, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com