Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Guppy guhrus? Lol. So i think I can see it is safe to do this. Now just BC I lobe seeing tanks anyone got pics of their driftwood from the beach?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I collect on the beach here as well. I get pieces that have dried. Remove loose debris, rinse well and in the tank it goes. Never had a problem, except it takes along time to sink.. almost a year for a couple pieces I had. The were really dried out and hard as rock.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seems a few people don't boil the wood first. Its pretty much just luck that nothing nasty was introduced into your freshwater tanks just by a a bit of a brush, a small soak in cold water and a quick rinse.

While it has worked for some of the authors on this thread, is it really the best way to treat sea drift wood as global long term advice for someone starting out and thinking about doing it?

Probably not.

I've boiled wood, rocks and stones from the sea. The tiny little creatures that come scurrying out are suprising. If you don't boil and sterilise, these die inside the wood but not right away. They die while the wood is inside your tank, then rot, and can create disease. The microbes you cannot see don't even get washed away from a quick brush and a small soak and rinse if they are inside the grain of the wood.

Best advice: Sterilise sea driftwood, everytime.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not use it for sensitive fish like neons ,discus
would be great for mollies the love salt , some use them in sea water tanks , guppies are ok
try it with some cheaper fish
African cichlids would be fine
Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCasa View Post
I threw it in an old cow trough, threw in a hose with a sprinkler head and let her rip for 2-3 days (water well), I emptied it and did it again then I tasted the water and there was no salt taste at all. Put in the aquarium and never looked back

I know, I know, all the guppy guhrus will make fun of my methods but I've owned large successful aquariums for 40+ years.

Hank Williams Jr. - A Country Boy Will Survive
I'm glad to know I am not the only one here that uses cow troughs for fish uses, and has a well too

Country living is the best!

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What if its too big to boil. Would the dish washer w no soap be effective?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't see why a dishwasher without soap wouldn't work. Might be some residual soap but multiple rinsings and dryings should take care of that.

Big stuff is hard to boil but everything that goes in my tank gets a bleach bath followed by a rinse, sun dry, rinse sun dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britty View Post
I've boiled wood, rocks and stones from the sea. The tiny little creatures that come scurrying out are suprising. If you don't boil and sterilise, these die inside the wood but not right away. They die while the wood is inside your tank, then rot, and can create disease. The microbes you cannot see don't even get washed away from a quick brush and a small soak and rinse if they are inside the grain of the wood.
In the wild that's called food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I'm glad to know I am not the only one here that uses cow troughs for fish uses, and has a well too

Country living is the best!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And as for boiling rocks. Isn't that VERY dangerous? Rocks can explode when boiled I heard.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I refuse to use bleach. It turns the wood an unnatural color and begins to break down the wood. Hydrogen peroxide is a better choice. It doesn't discolor the wood as much and the wood retains its in strength.

As for thoroughness, I think that depends on your fish. One can afford to lose guppies, but CARES fish are a different story.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is an extremely low risk of rocks exploding while they are being boiled. Ten minutes in boiling water should be enough. There is a high risk if you heat wet rocks in the oven or in a fire, or if there is a sudden change in temperature.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
drift, driftwood, sea, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com