help for diy glass aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning to build a glass aquarium( for freshwater). i have made some calculations from aquatools.com, this is the link
Calculate Aquarium Glass Thickness | Aquarium Tools

the size of the aquarium will be L:120cms, W:40cms, H:50cms, capacity:240 liters. glass thickness coming to 9mm.
can anyone advice me about the size of the tank. are the dimensions okay or do I have to vary the dimensions. do I have to keep the safety factor to 3.8 or can i vary it. do i have a side brace in the tank also.
any advice on the silicon to be used. is it required to be of some particular strength and is it a food grade silicon.
Can i have the edges of the glass polished, if so will the silicon hold it.

Safety factor? I don't know, but GE Silicon I is what I used on a 100 gallon tank. Make sure that whatever you use that it has no additives for fungus or mildew as this is harmful to the fish. It is always better to get glass polished not just sanded because the fact is that silicon sticks to silicon the best and in order to get a good seal to the glass you will want it as smooth as possible.

Back
Top Bottom