HELP....I made my acrylic aquarium worse!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lindsay1718 said:
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum but not that new to fish keeping. I have a 55 Gallon American cichlid tank and just recently acquired a 70 gallon acrylic tank for a really good trade on craigslist. I decided bc it is so unique, it is a stretched octagon shape with an oak stand and canopy I wanted it to be kind of like a show tank for my living room. I sanded down the stand a re-stained it to match my living room furnisher and it looks great. The tank was in good condition but not great. It had some minor scratches but nothing that bad. It was clear no cloudiness. Well I filled it up to test it and realized you could still see some scratches so I researched everything I could about sanding a buffing. I ordered the Novus and tried that first, with no success. So I decided I wanted to sand it, looking back I want to kick myself:facepalm:! I read a lot from everywhere, watched YouTube videos and saw how beautiful some peoples tanks turned out, so my thought was, mine is nowhere near that bad I can get it to look like that. Well I started with wet/dry sandpaper 600,1000,1500,2000. That was all they sold besides a 3000 at our local auto store. Well I did everything that the people on YouTube did and after using the Novus 3 and then the 2(I used the 2 three times) using a palm buffer/polisher, it has streaks of haziness. I am sorry for this being so long I just wanted to be descriptive. What do I do????? Do I need to start the sanding process over, if so at what grit? I just wished I had never messed with it:banghead:, the scratches were nothing compared to this cloudiness. Thanks for any help. :thanks:

Lindsay

Well I finally finished sanding and polishing! I will post pics when I get it up and running. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Lindsay

ForumRunner_20121005_224940.jpg

Back
Top Bottom