Help me find a good cheap light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennoninmon05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m looking for a good light for saltwater. I’m looking for a blue light that will fit my 40gallon breeder. Plz help all the lights I’ve seen have been in the $200 rang Im looking for one in the $100 range.

Tank Lighting

I’m looking for a good light for saltwater. I’m looking for a blue light that will fit my 40gallon breeder. Plz help all the lights I’ve seen have been in the $200 rang Im looking for one in the $100 range.

Hello bren...

Have you considered shop lighting from the local hardware store? Depending on the lighting requirements of your plants, the shop light may be your answer. You can get a four bulb fixture with 6500K, 32 watt, T8 bulbs for around $50.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot. This is enough light for low to medium light plants.

B

Hello bren...

Have you considered shop lighting from the local hardware store? Depending on the lighting requirements of your plants, the shop light may be your answer. You can get a four bulb fixture with 6500K, 32 watt, T8 bulbs for around $50.00 at Lowe's or Home Depot. This is enough light for low to medium light plants.

B

Thank you do you think that would work for corals?

That's just bb's programmed answer, hes an algorithm sent from the 80's.
He means well. You can use a Chinese black box led. I've grown all types of coral with one.

20180311_213302.jpg

That's just bb's programmed answer, hes an algorithm sent from the 80's.
He means well. You can use a Chinese black box led. I've grown all types of coral with one.

View attachment 311572

Hello Brook...

Thanks for the very helpful reply. You'd be surprised how well shop lighting will work for getting light to deeper tanks. Anyway, for many years, I've come across those who poo-poo different ideas. Maybe you should take time to look outside the box for a change.

Thanks again,

B

Tank Lighting

Thank you do you think that would work for corals?

bren...

Another suggestion came to mind. The cost of LED lighting has come down over the last couple of years. Maybe you can research some of the older LED units. Experimentation is how we find out what works best. I've learned over several years in the water keeping hobby, that there are many ways to accomplish things as long as you're open to different approaches.

B

bren...

Another suggestion came to mind. The cost of LED lighting has come down over the last couple of years. Maybe you can research some of the older LED units. Experimentation is how we find out what works best. I've learned over several years in the water keeping hobby, that there are many ways to accomplish things as long as you're open to different approaches.

B

Thank you so much for the help

Hello again bren...

If you're starting out and just getting into growing a basic type coral, you can use standard, florescent lighting from the hardware store. There are four and six bulb fixtures that are inexpensive. Research the Green Star species. You will need to use a shorter tank than those saltwater tanks that are 3 and 4 feet tall. Your 40 G breeder tank is fine. You just need to hang the lighting above the tank and get the light fairly close to the coral, but give yourself enough room to work.

B

Low Light Coral Lighting

bren...

One more thing and then, you can follow whatever course you want as far as your coral project. I talked with a friend who understands coral and he told me there are several coral species that will do fine in lower light. I'll pass along his list: Besides the Green Star Polyps I mentioned earlier, there are Toad Stool Leather, Kenya Tree, Discosmoa and Palythoa. He did say to use gloves when working with the Palythoa species. It can be toxic if you get it into a break in your skin.

Have fun,

B

SunBlaster T5-HO w/ NanoTech reflectors are a cheap step above standard shop lights. You'll just have to fab them up above the tank somehow.

I recently made a light for my planted tank out of pvc, 4 sockets, and some lamp wire, I have never done anything like that before and have a better light than before 2 daylight led bulbs and 2 plant growth led bulbs, spent 70$ and a few hours of time. Not sure if you can get the right spectrum for corals though, I have always heard good things about those Chinese black boxes brooks mentioned, I’m using a fluval nano sea 3.0 mounted to my hood for mine but those are about 80$ a piece and you would need two

Back
Top Bottom