Help? Multi tank setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

not-pro

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm honestly trying to get into breeding bettas. I ideally want to setup a series of smaller tanks, specifically the 6.6G bookshelf tanks from petco, or something simiarly sized. I want 2-3 of them, preferably withsome type of sump system or something.

I guess I should state my problem and not tell everybody what I want to do to solve it so that I get the best possible answer.

What I want is to reduce cost, and hopefully yield the benefits of having a larger surface area.

So let's say I have 3 6.6g tanks, right. That's 19.8G right there and then add maybe like a 5 gallon sump. You're at 24 gallons. That makes managing water conditions easier is my understanding, and I can stick with 1 Aquaclear 30 or even some kind of a can filter in the sump, as well as a single heater in the sump.

Just in heaters that's about 60$ in savings locally, and in filters, it doesn't really save me a whole lot... in fact I'm paying extra for a filter so I guess I could go 10 G tanks... but that still leaves me spending a great deal on lighting.

What I want is a cheap way of holding a lot of bettas, so I can eventually start breeding them.

how would you go about doing this?

the alternative would be to go bigger and just get dividers, but I think those are sloppy. Anybody?

Another thing I'm curious about is if I had CO2 injection; will it work if I place it in the sump? Will it add CO2 for both tanks for me? Or will I lose too much to surface area and tubulence.

So I'm honestly trying to get into breeding bettas. I ideally want to setup a series of smaller tanks, specifically the 6.6G bookshelf tanks from petco, or something simiarly sized. I want 2-3 of them, preferably withsome type of sump system or something.

I guess I should state my problem and not tell everybody what I want to do to solve it so that I get the best possible answer.

What I want is to reduce cost, and hopefully yield the benefits of having a larger surface area.

So let's say I have 3 6.6g tanks, right. That's 19.8G right there and then add maybe like a 5 gallon sump. You're at 24 gallons. That makes managing water conditions easier is my understanding, and I can stick with 1 Aquaclear 30 or even some kind of a can filter in the sump, as well as a single heater in the sump.

Just in heaters that's about 60$ in savings locally, and in filters, it doesn't really save me a whole lot... in fact I'm paying extra for a filter so I guess I could go 10 G tanks... but that still leaves me spending a great deal on lighting.

What I want is a cheap way of holding a lot of bettas, so I can eventually start breeding them.

how would you go about doing this?

I'd keep them in small containers until they are ready to breed, then spawn them in a larger 20g+ and then continue to use it as a fry growout. As soon as the fry get big enough, segregate them back to small containers again.

If you are insistent on using filtration and large water volumes then maybe a shallow tank with a large footprint like a breeder tank sectioned off into compartments with plexiglass.

Sadly, my research on CO2 and sumps lead me to:

"A wonderful side effect of using an overflow to drain water into a sump is that the surface of the water is constantly skimmed, removing undesirable surface films from the tank. This improves gas exchange with the water surface and aids in boosting oxygen levels and lowering CO2 within the tank."

What I'm trying to do with this setup at the moment is just setup some display tanks. I'm less concerned trying to breed in these. I suspect I'll breed in a 40B without a filter or similarly large tank.

What I'm trying to do is get 3 display tanks so I can setup a tank or two for boys and probably a sorority. I want maximum display per dollar if I can manage it.

I was just figuring a sump would let me cut costs on these display tanks. (by only needing one co2 reactor, one heater, and one filter)

Plus I figure I can buy better stuff. So far because overflows are so expensive (40$+) it makes it so I'm cutting even on costs... but with slightly better gear (ie, can filter, strong heater, etc).

So basically here's what I'm looking at:

40$ 4x10G tanks
18$ Mesh Tops
18$ Desk Lamps
70$ odyssea can filter
20$ 200W heater
25$ CO2 injector
??? Pumps?
150 overflows

I'm looking at close to 400$. It's looking more and more like isolated tanks is a better solution. I'll just get a pair of 20's or something... but I really wanted some way to do this cheaply. Stupid overflows making it so I'm not saving any money. Harumph.

I decided to scrap the idea. It's too expensive to little to no gains... only reason I wanted to do it was to get a betta work shop of sorts going.

Oh well, I'll just do some reserach on the walstad method. :D

Try finding some used tanks as well to cut costs. Why use CO2 if you're trying to breed them?

breeding bettas

you can go too basement bettas she breeds show bettas and has worked out how to build sump and a betta baracks so you can house mulitiple males she also uses heater tape instead of individual heaters she has a blue print in several articles on this subject

Back
Top Bottom