Help needed: root causing T5 ballast!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a dual bulb T5 fixture controlled by a ballast. one of the bulb isn't coming on and I tested that slot by switching around the bulbs and found nothing wrong with the bulb. so what's the next step in root causing the fixture and fixing the issue?

i'm not a technician but i do have a multimeter and some screwdrivers that i'm pretty handy at. just not sure where to begin with the diagnosis since i have never done one before although i have handled some printed circuit board experience

have you tried to clean any corrosion out of the sockets
That i haven't tried. i will certainly consider that when i get home.

but in the meantime, I'm sure there's people who have fixed their T5s before and would like to know their opinions on it

I have a similar problem with my four bulb. One of the four slots won't turn the lights on. Tried cleaning the piece where the light attaches with no luck..

i have a dual bulb T5 fixture controlled by a ballast. one of the bulb isn't coming on and I tested that slot by switching around the bulbs and found nothing wrong with the bulb. so what's the next step in root causing the fixture and fixing the issue?

i'm not a technician but i do have a multimeter and some screwdrivers that i'm pretty handy at. just not sure where to begin with the diagnosis since i have never done one before although i have handled some printed circuit board experience
I have replaced my ballasts several times. I need some information.

1. can you take the fixture apart?
    • make sure to save all of the screws
    • make good mental notes of how the fixture comes apart so that you may put it back together
  2. Can you provide the make and numbers off of the ballast? I have a couple of examples
    • EPREI T5 ELECTRONIC BALLAST Model:ELT541TH for use with lamp type T5/1X54W
    • Robertson RSO155FT120 (1)FT55W/2G11RS, FT50W/2G11RS or F54T5
  3. Can you perform basic wiring?
  4. can you provide ballast dimensions?
You will need:

• #0 or #1 Pkillips screwdriver
  • a pair of diagonal pliers or "dikes"
  • approximately 6 small-medium wire nuts. not the big residual wiring honkers.

Back
Top Bottom