Help Painting Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel Name

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking for some large black lava rock 5-10 inches but no rock yards or landscaping supply has black lava rock other than the small 2-3 inch ones. The aquarium safe rocks i did find wanted like 5$ a lb or 20-30 apiece.

Now I'm simply willing to use any aquarium safe rock and paint it black. Maybe if i call around I can find large red lava rock and simply paint it...I've heard of tons of people using krylon paint for plastic on pvc in their aquariums but was wondering if that would work on rocks or if there is any other paints that would be better for rocks. I've also read ANY non toxic paint as long as it wasn't oil based would be fine. Doesn't seem to be much info online in painting aquarium rocks

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit Note: Any Suggestions on different types of black rocks I wouldn't have to paint or even nonblack rocks would be great too if they're cheap or reasonable like granite or something. Thanks for your time.

Daniel
You aren't finding much info on aquarium safe rock paint because only a very small percentage of aqua hobbiest paint their hardscape. I occasionally see black lava rocks at my LFS for sale. I don't think it is rare. Might try finding it on line. I've never seen lava rock at my favorite rock yard. But they do carry, very dark gray river stone and black glass rock hunks. I'd dig a little deeper before going through all the trouble and risk painting your decor. After all half the fun is tracking down unique finds at great prices. I'd double check the rock yard again. That's where you'll get the best deal. You also might try the Home Depot or Lowes garden department. Sometimes they keep decorative stones. Good luck.

I was looking for some large black lava rock 5-10 inches but no rock yards or landscaping supply has black lava rock other than the small 2-3 inch ones. The aquarium safe rocks i did find wanted like 5$ a lb or 20-30 apiece.

Now I'm simply willing to use any aquarium safe rock and paint it black. Maybe if i call around I can find large red lava rock and simply paint it...I've heard of tons of people using krylon paint for plastic on pvc in their aquariums but was wondering if that would work on rocks or if there is any other paints that would be better for rocks. I've also read ANY non toxic paint as long as it wasn't oil based would be fine. Doesn't seem to be much info online in painting aquarium rocks

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit Note: Any Suggestions on different types of black rocks I wouldn't have to paint or even nonblack rocks would be great too if they're cheap or reasonable like granite or something. Thanks for your time.

I have a bunch of nice looking rocks I had in my freshwater tank few years back your welcome to it if you want them , just pay shipping

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom