help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobaquarist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a used 180 gallon. And I chipped it while moving. The chip is about the size of my finger tip. About as deep as a toothpick is wide. It's right where the overflow is drilled. (mine is drilled at the bottom) on the dry side of the tank. Several people I've talked to said I should be ok but I would like to know if anyone has had this problem. The chip is inside the overflow so I know that it won't experience direct water pressure. I'm just concerned about the pressure from the main tank pushing on the bottom and making it worse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110811_214117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110811_214117.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 63
I had a chipped tank once, water was leaking, and I had my moms boyfriend seal it with silicone and let it dry for a week. And now the tank doesnt leak at all and ive had fish in it for about two months with no problems. I dont know if the chip that you have would be different, but you could try it.

I'm pretty new myself, but I would go with Kera's suggestion. If it's by chance plexiglas you could use a thin sheet of acrylic and some WO 3 or 4 and patch it if you were still concerned. However, if its glass, I think your best bet is some silicone

GE 1 Silicone to be exact. Let it properly heal before you add water obviously, but as it can also be toxic, and will give your cycling a bit of trouble if you don't let it heal.

Back
Top Bottom