Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help please!! aquarium issue

I brought a rectangle tank and fitted a piece of glass diagnolly accross to create a beach for my crabs, at the very top a leak has formed, its very slow but causing condensation under the tank making it look pretty [moderator edit].any tips or advise? Even if i empty the tank and reseal it how would i get the water out easily? An unusual problem but anyone had any similar issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00189-20101111-0050.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	26001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00192-20101111-0050.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	26002  

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did the tank have any guarantee when you got it? Many brands, such as All Glass come with a one or more year warranty.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

its not the tank thats leaking its my DIY beach thats leaking, so its not going to be covered
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good, I'm glad it isn't the tank leaking.

I'm very interested in your tank as we are in the planning process of setting up a brackish crabitat and are looking at many different options for a beach area. The pitfalls of various plans, like yours, are what I hope to avoid!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I take it that the glass is snug agains the sides of the tank. Your best bet is to get some aquarium silicone and remove everything out of the tank. Silicone all the edges of the shelf so no water could think about leaking in. You'll have to wait at least 24-48 hours for it to dry though. Thats really your best bet for it not to leak. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i dont think its a leak... can you actually see water other then the condensation? if it is completely sealed and temperature changes will cause condensation. think of a glass of ice water in the summer... the glass isnt leaking its the temperature differences that is causing the condensation.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

+1 on Andrew's post.

I think the only thing you could do is figure out how you can get air moving in there, or fill it up with gravel or something to hide it. If you could get air moving you won't get any condensation, but with gravel you won't see it as much.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure how feasible it is for you, but I'd suggest drilling a hole in the ramp near the top of the slope close to the back, and seal a pipe in the hole so the space can breath, then hide the pipe sticking up with decorations.
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting design. I'm not sure I would trust that piece of glass without some kind of support below it, but I tend to overbuild things. Maybe you could fill the volume beneath the beach with sand. It wouldn't solve the condensation issue, but it would hide it and support the glass at the same time.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I did use aquarium silicon orginaly, but i may empty, dry it, remove it and start again, that an interesting idea about letting it breath, il have a look at how i could sort that out, but i am pretty sure its a leak you can see a large globual of water and a tiny crack in the silicon, and i was so proud of my handwork as well, its lasted about 2 months!

the glass is actualy pretty thick and the load should be spread through the side walls, so hopefully structually it should be sound,

With filling the bottom with sand i did consider this, as well as hiding the water filter in their, but then you have issues with filter change and i use it to keep molly fry as well ( loads of places to hide and the crabs are far too slow to cath them) and i didnt want them getting sucked to irretrievable places.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com