Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I guess I'm not seing how or where the skimmer pump is going. Is this skimmer one that ONLY sits in the water. I know some can do either - in or out of the water. I'm definitely not versed with anything other than what I've used for skimmers (Top Fathom and Aqua C EV, but both werw both submersible and able to mount outside.

Also, isn't a Mag 9 a bit strong for that skimmer (on a 90g)? I was thinking a Mag 9 for the main return.

Heck, an Aqua C EV skimmer rated for a 155g only recommends a Mag 7.

EDITED: I see now. Looked up the skimmer and see it is submersible only. Is that pump built in???

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes the pump sits right next to the skimmer and has to be submersed. My return pump is a mag9. I am not sure what the skimmer pump is but it came with the Skimmer so I am sure it is sized correctly.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

What didja decide on for the main return?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #14

The mag9 is the main return pump. The skimmer came with it's own pump.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You should put the baffles where you have the eggcrate and eggcrate when the baffles are. The baffles create the section of sump with the constant water level. As Ziggy mentioned, you need a bigger area for the return section to account for evaporation PLUS room for the tank water when the pump is off.

12" should be a workable baffle height. What I mean by "workable" is if you make the baffles 12", will you have enough room in the sump for water from the tank when the pump is off? Or, if you make 12" baffles and keep the water level at maybe 6-8" in the return section, you will hear that water falling. Dropping 4" makes a pretty loud splash. My sump is like that and it is noisey.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah. If I read a bit better you already told me that.

Anyway, take pics as you go. I'm curious to see the size of the chambers as you assemble this - with pumps and all. Gonna have the heater down there too, right? Thinking about a UV?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
You should put the baffles where you have the eggcrate and eggcrate when the baffles are. The baffles create the section of sump with the constant water level. As Ziggy mentioned, you need a bigger area for the return section to account for evaporation PLUS room for the tank water when the pump is off.

12" should be a workable baffle height. What I mean by "workable" is if you make the baffles 12", will you have enough room in the sump for water from the tank when the pump is off? Or, if you make 12" baffles and keep the water level at maybe 6-8" in the return section, you will hear that water falling. Dropping 4" makes a pretty loud splash. My sump is like that and it is noisey.
Ah, it makes more sense now with flipping the egg crate and baffles. So you are saying that the baffles should be 12" high with the skimmer sitting 4" off the ground. What controls the water height in the return area? How fast the pump pumps out water?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
You control the water height in the return area of the sump when you first set it up. When everything is up and running, you will have 12" of water in the skimmer section and that will always have 12". The level in the rest of the sump will drop as water evaoprates. You can keep it at about 10" when "full" and as the water evaoprates, that level will drop. Water will flow back into the sump only as fast as your pump pumps it out.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

The baffle section and egg crate should be reversed. You want the smaller area for the skimmer section and the longer area for the LR rubble and return pump.

I'm not sure I would raise skimmer. I would just make the first baffle 8" high for the skimmer, leaving lots of headroom for sump to fill when the return pump is off. The overflow height in the tank may be adjustable. You also need to adjust the height of the return lines in the tank so they break siphon before the sump fills.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #20

Very good, I think I have it now. I will build it tonight and post pictures. The problem with lifting the skimmer up 4" is that it may hit the top of my stand so it may have to sit on the bottom and not be raised.

For the break siphon, can I just drill 2 holes in my return line just beow the water level?

Tags
build, building, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com