Help with DIY brick stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey so i'm not a fan of the flimsy wooden (and costly) stands in my local stores, so I decided to make one. I'd just like confirmation on whether it's a good idea. It's a 55gallon tank, dimensions L 12.75 W 48.25 H 20.19.

The plan is to use twelve 8x8x16 concrete bricks with holes vertical in three stacks of four on either end and in the middle of the tank. Below the tank will be a piece of plywood the exact dimensions of the tank (should I put a piece of fabric under the glass?) and another piece of plywood at the base to spread the weight on the floor.

It may be a silly question but Id like to avoid accidents at all costs. The weight of the full tank will be fully accommodated by the wood and bricks right? Im very open to suggestions on what to change or any tips from anyone who has done something like this already.

You'll want to shim the plywood between plywood and blocks. Or between floor and blocks. The block will follow contour of the floor,.plywood will.follow contour of blocks. If it's not straight than it could.pose a problem down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You would be better served to eliminate the centre stack and place a 2 x 4 frame covered with ply on top. Getting three stacks level is far more difficult than two.

Back
Top Bottom