Help with DIY T5HO project for four light lamp at 36" long.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abc1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I am very interested in building a T5HO light fixture with four lights for my aquarium. These are the measurements I am working with ad quantity.

I have a custom three foot tank and want to use T5HO bulbs for 36" long light fixtures.

There will be a total of four bulbs.

I am handy with light electrical and am not afraid to build my own but I have no idea how to find instructions online. I am having a difficult time find the information I need. Such as, what type of ballast(s) do I need to supply four bulbs which will be at 6500K.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I need specific instructions and will follow them to the letter. I am literally going to build this with my hands. Is this possible? Or is the reason why I can't find complete DIY instructions anywhere online is because it's not?

Thanks in advance for any help.

That's looks good and that's a great price.

But will something like that give me years worth of use? I hear of people buying cheap products and then they don't last very long. I want something to last e fr years and years. I know I will have to replace the bulbs but I hear of the ballasts going dead very quick.

That's looks good and that's a great price.

But will something like that give me years worth of use? I hear of people buying cheap products and then they don't last very long. I want something to last e fr years and years. I know I will have to replace the bulbs but I hear of the ballasts going dead very quick.

I actually just acquired the 48" version secondhand. It is the older model Oddysea. It was originally purchased by a good friend of mine around 2008 IIRC. Only problem with it is it has 8 blue LEDs in it for night viewing, and only 2 of them work these days. It's cheap, but built well IMO.

Jesse

I notice that one has an external ballast. My unit is all in one with one the power cord outside of the light body. If you look on the link I showed earlier at the other t5 lights listed, you'll see they have two different lights available like this with one being listed as marine and the other freshwater/planted. Also cheaper from aquatraders it seemed. Any reason you want t5ho? LEDs are cheaper in the long run and usually yield higher PAR levels. There are very affordable units available that likely last a very long time

Jesse

Thanks for the input, Jesse.

Okay, I want to be completely upfront. This project is actually not for a fish tank. It is for some indoor tropical plants that I want to grow. I hope you are not offended that I used this thread to get some help. It's just that I've been looking around on forums for growing terrestrial plants indoors and I can't find people all that knowledgeable on the topic.

I have grown aquatic plants in the past and that's why I know that aquarium enthusiasts seem to know more about lights for plants.

I am not sure if LED will work well for terrestrial plants such as cacti and succulents. If you have some recommendations that you think will work for aquatic plants that require high light to thrive I am sure I can do some research to see if it will apply to potted terrestrial plants.

However, the recommendation you gave me so far for the product in your answer looks ideal. I have shelves that are 3ft in length and need light fixtures that can fit that space.

Thank you,

Adrien

Ah! Should have said so! I done quite a bit of searching for ways to save money when I started the hobby. This meant lots of DIY. When I was trying to find a good diy light to grow submersed plants, I was surprised where I found the best info. I'll pm it to you.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom