Help with DIY Trickle Filter and Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spazz67

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok heres my plans. The first drawing is of both tanks.
complete fug plan.jpg
Fuge plan.jpg
The problems I'm having is in the return pump, not sure of the size I need. Also I Plan to post pictures of the Trickle Filter I built this evening.
Would some one that has built a Trickle and Refugium Please chime in and help.

As far as a return pump, how many gph can your overflow handle? You don't want a pump that pushes more than your overflow can drain. Why is the return pump up on a stand? As water evaporates, the water level in the sump will drop and it can leave your pump running dry.

I don't really follow you on the trickle filter thing. I don't know what that is...exactly, or at least your drawing is not what I consider a trickle filter.
What kind of skimmers are you using that you have 2?

Ok The trickle filter is a homemade one we got the idea for from a set of plans we found online. The plans consisted of a 5 gal bucket, plastic sponges, egg crate, filter media, and filter media. We just made it smaller by using a 4in pipe in stead of a 5 gal bucket. I take pictures of it taken apart post them as soon as I can. The protein skimmers are BioPro air driven protein skimmers rated for 60 gal. both tanks all together are 75 gal. i placed the pump on a stand to keep it from over flowing the top tank. can't I do that or does it have to be on the bottem of the tank?
And what kind of pump do I need: A pond pump or a sump pump?

I think cccpts question is a valid one. How many GPH can your overflow handle? I'm guessing it has 1 drain line and that is connected to your diy trickle filter and that then dumps into the sump?

1"pipe = 600gph. You definately don't want that pump sitting like that. It should be all the way at the bottom of the sump. To keep from overflowing the tank you need to match the pump to your overflow. That is the reason behind the question. I would suggest a MAG7 for your tank.

Can you post those pics so we can see the actual setup rather then drawings?

Back
Top Bottom