Help with my 10g sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vietcu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finally decided to get an aqua c remora hang on skimmer with maxi-jet 1200 pump. I figured I would be hanging the skimmer on the 10g sump because I don't have much room to work with. Planning on building a continous overflow wier with a 1" drain. What I would like to know is which pump should I get for the return? Distance from the pump to the tank would only be about 3'8". This is for my 40g tank. Is it possible also to do a refuge if I have the skimmer hanging on the 10g?

The wier idea sounds pretty cool. Are you drilling the tank or is it already drilled? A 1" drain will give you about 600gph so you would be fine with a Mag 5 or something similiar.
A 10g will limit what you can do in the sump. If you are hanging the skimmer on it, you must setup baffles and partition off a section of the sump so the water level remains constant for the skimmer to work right. You can setup a fuge, but you have limited space plus you have to allow for the excess water from the tank when you shut down the pump.

A MAG 5 is rated at 380gph at 3' and 310 gph at 4' head height. A MAG 7 is rated at 500 and 480. Any bends, elbows or other obstuctions will also reduce the final rating.

I went ahead and bought a mag7, seeing how I could build a T back into the sump if it is pushing too much water. And my tank is already full so no drilling, just a continous flow from the wier down to the sump.

How about a pic? I can't imagine a wier without the tank being drilled. How does the water get out of the wier?

lol...I know what a sump is. I would just like to see the wier you have without the tank being drilled.

Gheez....lol. My idea of a weir is like a Calfo overflow....not a plain jane HOB overflow.

Since the skimmer I got is an aqua c remora HOB, what is the minimum space I can make for the water collection in the sump for the skimmer? And also how high do I need to make it? I hope that made sense. Starting from right to left, how much space is the min I can set for that space from edge of tank to first piece?

sump.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom