Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Herbie Overflow with One Drain Pipe

I'm wondering if anyone has ever created a Herbie overflow with only one pipe by fitting the emergency pipe inside the siphon pipe?

Here's my situation ... I have two 1.5" pipes running inside the wall connecting the area where my main tank will go and the basement area where the sump will go. Btw, my tank is 112G so I'll be aiming for around 300-400pgh flow thru the sump.

Since I only have two pipes (one drain, one return) to work with (adding more is not an option) the obvious choice is something like a glass holes overflow kit since they can be fairly quiet once they settle in apparently.

However I was thinking that I could run a 3/4" or 1" vinyl pipe inside the 1.5" PVC pipe going to the basement and thus create two drain pipes from the one pipe. With two drain pipes I could go with a Herbie, however, I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something like that. The one issue I still haven't figured out though is how to install a valve on the siphon line with the emergency line running inside it.

I might be also able to take this one step further and run a vinyl pipe inside the return PVC pipe also and thus create three drain lines allowing me to do a Herbie overflow. The problem there is how to have the third drain line exit the return pipe.

Anyone ever attempt anything remotely similar to this?

Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, overflow, pipe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com