Hex Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you so much!! Worse comes to worst- my next door neighbor is an amazing wood worker and has agreed to do the canopy for me ;-) But I still want to see if I can do it myself. I also wanted to ask you, what size is your tank? Mine is a 60, and I was unsure to use the meausurements I just did- the sides are 14 inches each. And about 25 inches across.

kee

not a bad back up plan, but good choice of trying your self, i am not a good wood worker at all, i just took my time and it paid off, 60g thats a big hex, mine is only 30g, good luck with the hood

Thanks again for just the wonderful pics and tutorials! I am a visual person- so just seeing it done step by step has helped me tremendously!! So I think that I am going to get the sides cut first, then just buy the plywood sheet and ask my neighbor to cut it lol and then fasten it all together. I will post pics!! I am really excited now so thanks again!!

kee

that's a good idea, and was my first idea but i couldn't get a hold of a miter saw that could cut a 60 degree angle, but i will say that if they do get cut right, constructing it would be really easy

My aunt just gave me her old hex tank, but none of the accessories. I'm so glad I found this thread so I have something to show my dad when I tell him I want to custom build the hood! Mine is about 77 gallons and stands just over two feet high, so I'm going to keep it on the floor and use it kinda like a coffee table once I get the hood put together. I plan on using an HOB filter but I'm kinda hoping I'll be able to hide it with the hood. Any ideas? If not, no worries... that part will be up against the wall anyways. :) Thanks for having an example of the idea I'd been trying to put on paper all day (I can picture things in my mind, but can never figure out how to put them together)!

That's for the positive feedback, sounds like a big tank, i wouldnt suggest trying to hide it, it would be complicated and i don't think worth it, the back of mine is open and no one can really tell but me, it alos helps cool off the bulbs by letting air pass through the hood, if you ever have any questions about how i did something feel free to post here of PM me ill try to help in anyway

Back
Top Bottom