Plans for a busy weekend forced tank maintenance to this evening. Things are looking up in the tank.
- No more fish deaths. I finally got a drop checker to work well so I have a qualitative idea about how much CO2
I've got in the tank. I was able to cut back on the BPS rate a little and it's been stable.
- The hair algae is receding. I've been dosing 2mL of macros and 1-1.5mL of micros. Cutting back on the micros seems to have worked.
- The plants are growing well. The mayaca and diandra have settled in nicely and the rotala wallichii is actually starting to grow.
- I've got a small breakout of BBA. I'm blaming it on me screwing with the CO2
. I need to get some H2O2 to treat it.
- My nutrient levels are off again. I'm completely bottoming out on nitrates. Test results today were:
I'm tempted to start dry dosing nitrates to keep up. I'm also contemplating moving some guppies and adding some heavier bioload to the tank. Any suggestions? Off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe a mystery snail or two.
- Now that I get home from work at a reasonable hour, I'm thinking about switching from my split photo period back to a single period to see if I get any better growth.
- I've got a rough plan for the hardware necessary to create sunrise/sunset effects. I need to get some ICs and start playing with the code.